DA40, ice, and some self-doubt

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: DA40, ice, and some self-doubt

Post by Rich »

rwtucker wrote:Antoine, You and I seem to be of similar minds on this issue. I'm still of the opinion that a little less weight (carbon tail), a little more HP (high compression heads, etc.), and your NLG would transform the DA40 into my ideal personal flying machine. Nothing hits every potential mission but this would hit all but the ones I'm willing to forgo without any great sense of loss.

Caerus was a Greek god so probably not Cirri :scratch: Cirroi (Caeroi) maybe? What the hell . . . just stick an 's' on it.
Sorry, this cynic in me smiles at "a little more horsepower". Since there's no such thing as enough, this can be applied to any airplane, ever... :)
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Rich wrote:Sorry, this cynic in me smiles at "a little more horsepower". Since there's no such thing as enough, this can be applied to any airplane, ever... :)
I know . . . I know . . . some kind of illness, I think. :(
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Hi Robert thanks for helping me with the greek of Cirrus's! I am glad that you too cannot see an easy upgrade path, although I must admit, in my case the primary problem is the lack of ice protection.

As to performance enhancements, I have not published any news for a long time, but here is a quick update.
I just did 2 long flights (2 x 3 hours) with the final iteration of a new fix to the NLG issue (simpler and less costly than the redesign of the fork I published here).
After some fine tuning I now see 145-147 KTAS on 9 GPH consistently at my cruise altitudes (around 8-10 K density alt). The plane has no trim tab, it needs some right rudder in the climb and a touch of left rudder pressure when exceeding 140 KTAS, growing to a lot more beyond 155 KTAS.
Do the stock planes also need left rudder around 150 KTAS? I vaguely remember mine did, but not sure if this is a side effect of the removal of the trim tab or a normal feature?
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The plural form of Elvis is Elvi as in "The Flying Elvi." So I am going with the plural of Cirrus is Cirri.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Antoine wrote:Hi Robin
Congratulations on your purchase. I would love to hear more from you regarding the difference in the fun factor. I have been looking at Cirrus (Cirri? Cirruses?) for years and every time it feels like trading in a sports car for a van. Can you comment?
+1 Cirri. Latin for tuft or curl.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)