DA-20 Cigarette Lighter or 12 Volt socket for cabin?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

YKAAviator1

DA-20 Cigarette Lighter or 12 Volt socket for cabin?

Post by YKAAviator1 »

Hello all,
I'm a lurker at the moment because I haven't acquired my DA-20 I have my eyes on...quite yet - but I have a question as a potential first time aircraft owner.

Is it possible to have a cigarette lighter socket to a DA-20 A1 specifically for charging phones/electronics? OR is this something that specifically requires a STC and if not approved by Diamond, cannot occur?

Thank you - I hope to be able to be a contributing MEMBER soon!

Arthur
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: DA-20 Cigarette Lighter or 12 Volt socket for cabin?

Post by rwtucker »

Arthur,

I'm not an expert on this topic but since DAN members who have more expertise have not commented, my take and that of my IA is that there is a way around an STC.

First,14 CFR Part 1.1:
Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications:
(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, power-plant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.
Minor alteration means an alteration other than a major alteration.
Done properly, a power port to power an iPad, Garmin, etc. would seem to be a minor alteration. However, this seems to be a grey area for all but the ardent on both sides. Additionally, it seems clear from related Regs that hard-wiring portable navigation devices is not permitted.

Personally, I have three takes on this.

- As far as the Regs go, The words 'appreciably' and 'minor' are vague and subjective. It is good to keep in mind that government SOP designs ambiguity into Regs. They do so to keep their options open in accordance with the tenor of the times and/or the the specific case. This is not exclusively an FAA practice. It is universal in rule-making at the federal level. In other words, you may not be safe if for some reason the FAA decides to make an example out of you. On the other hand, I have attached one example of an FAA TSO.

- Practically, there is a real risk of fire if the wiring is less than perfect. If you are not expert with electrical circuitry (insulation, vibration management, fusing, etc.) I would opt for an A&P who has done lots of wiring. The job itself is easy but there are points of safety that an inexperienced person might overlook.

- I just looked over a handful of panel mount cigarette lighter receptacles in my junk box. Some of them are too poorly insulated and/or constructed to put in a panel that is vibrating all the time you are in the air. Some even assume a chassis ground and do not provide a (-) circuit tab. Stay away from this design. Your A&P needs to select one of quality design and construction and of, course, add a 5A breaker to 10A wiring. Since you are not actually lighting cigarettes, 5A is more than adequate to support 2 USB chargers, a Garmin portable, etc. I also recommend double shrink-fit insulation over the connector tabs and plenty of ties between the socket and the power connection.

Good luck. I encourage you to join DAN. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned from my fellow Diamond owners. This is a great group.
Attachments
FAA_Approval_letter_cig_adapter.pdf
(38.87 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for the reply - warms my thoughts that someone read my post and cared enough to formulate a reply!

This is what I had in mind was to go to my proposed mechanic and run it past them first and get them to do the installation. In this day of electronics and needing recharging, I cannot imagine a cockpit without a power outlet!

I am currently just looking at a mid 1990's DA20 as my starter economical AC - but did the DA-40's all come standard with a power outlet?

In regards to becoming a member of DAN, I would absolutely love to and I have made an attempt but since I am not an owner *YET*, I have not been given that permission - but I am working on purchasing an aircraft soon. At least there is a public forum to allow us non-owners to talk and ask questions and participate in some way - that is appreciated!
rwtucker wrote:Arthur,

I'm not an expert on this topic but since DAN members who have more expertise have not commented, my take and that of my IA is that there is a way around an STC.

First,14 CFR Part 1.1:
Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications:
(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, power-plant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.
Minor alteration means an alteration other than a major alteration.
Done properly, a power port to power an iPad, Garmin, etc. would seem to be a minor alteration. However, this seems to be a grey area for all but the ardent on both sides. Additionally, it seems clear from related Regs that hard-wiring portable navigation devices is not permitted.

Personally, I have three takes on this.

- As far as the Regs go, The words 'appreciably' and 'minor' are vague and subjective. It is good to keep in mind that government SOP designs ambiguity into Regs. They do so to keep their options open in accordance with the tenor of the times and/or the the specific case. This is not exclusively an FAA practice. It is universal in rule-making at the federal level. In other words, you may not be safe if for some reason the FAA decides to make an example out of you. On the other hand, I have attached one example of an FAA TSO.

- Practically, there is a real risk of fire if the wiring is less than perfect. If you are not expert with electrical circuitry (insulation, vibration management, fusing, etc.) I would opt for an A&P who has done lots of wiring. The job itself is easy but there are points of safety that an inexperienced person might overlook.

- I just looked over a handful of panel mount cigarette lighter receptacles in my junk box. Some of them are too poorly insulated and/or constructed to put in a panel that is vibrating all the time you are in the air. Some even assume a chassis ground and do not provide a (-) circuit tab. Stay away from this design. Your A&P needs to select one of quality design and construction and of, course, add a 5A breaker to 10A wiring. Since you are not actually lighting cigarettes, 5A is more than adequate to support 2 USB chargers, a Garmin portable, etc. I also recommend double shrink-fit insulation over the connector tabs and plenty of ties between the socket and the power connection.

Good luck. I encourage you to join DAN. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned from my fellow Diamond owners. This is a great group.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

We installed a power port several years ago in our A1 for use primarly with our Garmin 496. As it is wired to the "hot battery bus" with a fuse holder in the engine compartment, we also use it with a Battery Minder to keep the battery de-sulphated and charged when sitting in the hangar. It was installed and signed off by an A&P - no 337 required, as a minor alteration.

Krea Ellis
DA20-A1 Princess Amelia N853DF
DA-40 XLS Sold
Attachments
Note the power port on the sidewall just aft of the hand mic.
Note the power port on the sidewall just aft of the hand mic.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Interestingly, I "found" one in my DA-20 about two months after purchasing it. I was replacing the AA battery to the Davtron clock in my panel since it lost time every time you secured power. With the instrument cover off I saw the back of the cigarette lighter receptacle just below. Poked my head down by the pilot rudder pedals and there it was. It points straight down by the pilot's left knee and has a rubber cover. I could see the insulation was done professionally and I now use it to power my iPad, iPhone and my recently acquired Stratus II. I found that my Stratus was not charging even when plugged in by itself so I purchased a higher rated USB adapter that is rated to carry 3 amps (vice the normal 2.1 amps) - Picked it up at Radio Shack for between $15-20 dollars. With the new adapter it powers both the Stratus II and my iPad mini at the same time.

...per the remainder of this discussion, somehow I have not found the time to pour through my logbook to try and find the applicable entry - I'm just glad it is there because keeping those two devices charged is an important safety item in my paperless cockpit - especially for monitoring WX and also traffic.