DA42NG Cabin Heat

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Charlie26

DA42NG Cabin Heat

Post by Charlie26 »

For those of you operating in cold climates, and let us say OAT at altitude around -30C, -40C : Can you tell me if cabin heat is plenty sufficient for front and rear seat passengers ? In my Mooney Ovation for example, colder than -25C and the heater can no way keep up, and cabin is already rather cold requiring very warm clothes.

2nd question, for those with experience using both Oxysaver cannula's and the mountain high pulse delivery system, have you found one system versus the other any more effective at delivering oxygen, meaning improving your oxygen saturation levels. Again, my experience flying at FL140 in the Mooney, with Oxysaver, I was experiencing mild fatigue during and after the flights, a kind of buzz, and sometimes mild headache afterword, even with regulator turned up well above my current altitude. SAT level around 90-92..
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: DA42NG Cabin Heat

Post by carym »

Hi Charlie,
My first several years with the DA42 was in Minnesota. Believe me, it does get cold there. While I can't say anything about heat for rear passengers, it was certainly warm enough for the front passengers. However, I have found that flying at night in the cold my left arm (near the window) does not stay warm enough for me.

As for oxygen, I use the Mountain High O2D2 system and love it. We flew to Alaska and back at 16K and had no problems related to oxygen saturation or symtpoms.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Our DA42-VI which has a very similar cabin heating system to an NG (both Austro engines) puts out lots of heat and defrost once the engines warm up and you're flying. The rear passengers especially get lots of hot air coming out of the under-seat cubby-holes for back passenger feet; the front pilot/passenger get less.

As for O2 systems, I don't use the Oxysaver cannulas that came with our aircraft anymore, having switched to the Mountain High O2D2 pulse-demand system. I especially like the O2D2 system's automatic altitude-adjustment feature during climbs and descents, and it consumes far less O2. There's a $250 pressure adapter that lets us hook the O2D2 up to one of the outlets of the plane's built-in O2 system. Measured O2 saturation rates with the O2D2 system are always in the 90s. No adverse effects of high altitude.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI

Post by Guest »

Regarding recent forum discussion on insufficient cabin heat on the DA42 and inefficient design of the system. Those posts seem more confined to, and I am assuming, earlier engine variants. Can anyone say if the heating system and design was significantly improved with the Austro engines ? Some posts in this thread indicate that the heating in newer aircraft is good.
Charlie26

Post by Charlie26 »

Regarding recent forum discussion on insufficient cabin heat on the DA42 and inefficient design of the system. Those posts seem more confined to, and I am assuming, earlier engine variants. Can anyone say if the heating system and its design was significantly changed with the Austro engines ? Some posts in this thread indicate that the heating in newer aircraft is good.