g1000 replacement parts

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dant2k

g1000 replacement parts

Post by dant2k »

Hi everyone --

I'm hoping to buy a da40 at some point (hopefully soon!), however I'm a low time pilot and my 1 call to avemco regarding insurance suggests that they would really prefer me in a sub-200k plane until I get a lot more hours (130 TT right now. yes I'll contact a broker).

Problem being renting has gotten... frustrating... so it's hard to get those hours. So I'm investigating buying.

All my hours are in glass, and judging from the online ads, I'm looking at 200-250k for a G1000 Da40. Most of the ones listed don't have WAAS, and when researching the upgrade, apparently it's not possible anymore (?).

I found a thread on this site from 2018 discussing a possible NXI upgrade for the da40. Does anyone have any more information on that?

It also seems very concerning that pieces of the G1000 might be hard to find if they break? I'm not super interested in having a busted plane for months on end waiting for someone to throw an LRU I need up on barnstormers.

Is this worry founded? Or should I just learn to love the bomb/ILS approaches and grab a non-waas G1000 da40?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: g1000 replacement parts

Post by Boatguy »

WAAS upgrades are available. Definitely call a broker. LRU swaps are readily available from Garmin.

You’re getting bad information.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

1. Call a new insurance agent.
2. Be prepared for sticker shock the first year in type no matter what plane you pick
3. Hull insurance is generally a percentage of price. So the more expensive plane you buy, the more you pay.
4. Liability insurance tends to be more consistent for a specific model regardless of age/year.

Tim
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

I own a DA40 with another 500 hour pilot and our rate has steadily crept up over the years to around $3000. We've $195k in hull and $1mm smooth liability. We're based in New Jersey and are tied down. All of these are factors in the cost, so you may adjust your expectations accordingly.

Diamond has built out their own WAAS upgrade program, though currently (as of two weeks ago) they are not accepting orders as they do not have any upgrade units.

We've replaced numerous G1000 parts with minimal (one week) downtime. Your avionics shop simply sends back broken units to Garmin and they'll ship back working units. If you pay for overnight shipping (we didn't) it can be done even quicker.

We don't have WAAS and I don't find it an issue, as most of the fields I fly to have an ILS or an alternate with an ILS.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

mhoran wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:07 pm We don't have WAAS and I don't find it an issue, as most of the fields I fly to have an ILS or an alternate with an ILS.
This comes up time and time again. LDJ's sole (non-WAAS RNAV) approach is scary to comprehend actually using with weather approaching minimums. And it's surrounded by lots of airports with ILS. I, on the other hand, have a plethora of WAAS approaches available. This includes my home airport and within a 30-mile radius, but only one ILS within 100 miles. And it's been known to be out of service in bad weather. There is a LPV approach to that same runway (KRDM RWY 23) to deal with the ILS being down.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Linden's approach is quite scary. I flew down to near minimums once (with the expectation of going missed) and couldn't find the airport. Recently an experienced pilot crashed approaching the MAP with weather near minimums. Unfortunately we won't get anything other than a circling approach because of Newark. For whatever reason (maybe the abundance of ILS approaches?) there are very few WAAS approaches in the immediate area.

At the current price of $12k we are considering the WAAS upgrade, for both the added resiliency and benefits (no more VOR checks!) and also to preserve resale value. Unfortunately when Garmin discontinued the WAAS upgrade we were also equipping for ADS-B and were looking at $50k in maintenance in a single year had we upgraded. We just couldn't swing it. But given the new program, so long as they come back in stock, I think it makes sense.

Hope this helps dant2k!
dant2k

Post by dant2k »

Thanks everyone. Seems like I should be fine picking up a 2006-2010 Da40 and building time in that until I'm ready to transition to a newer NG with a higher hull value. Maybe in that time I'll actually find a hangar (hah!). Realistically I probably shouldn't invest in a half a million bucks of airplane without some owner experience!

For garmin related stuff, where do owners get this information regarding upgrade availability and the diamond WAAS program? Just through your mechanic? Just post here and people who know get the info out?
dant2k

Post by dant2k »

Good grief I just found the massive g1000 / nxi upgrade thread in "Hangar Talk", boy is my face red. I had only been looking in the da40 forum.