Baltimore Diamonds

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

BaltimoreDave

Baltimore Diamonds

Post by BaltimoreDave »

Hi folks,

My wife and I are interested in getting into a DA40 or potentially Cirrus in the Baltimore area. Currently we own a 172 and are considering upgrading the skyhawk (Paint, ADS-B, autopilot etc) vs just purchasing a newer airplane. We spoke to the owner of the DiamondShare program at Oshkosh and could be interested (assuming compatible partners/members). We could also be interested in exploring used DA40s (WAAS equipped G1000's).

In the near-term we'd like to get some more time in both a DA40 and a Cirrus to help decide which (if either) is right for us. Is anyone aware of a Diamond owner or School in the Baltimore/Maryland area where we could get some additional stick time? We'd also be interested in looking at some cost of ownership data.

Thanks in advance for the help.

David
akistler
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Airports: KJYO

Re: Baltimore Diamonds

Post by akistler »

Leesburg VA (JYO) has both Diamond and Cirrus for rent
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The closest flight schools in the Baltimore/Washington area with Diamonds for rent may be at Leesburg (KJYO), my home airport. You can rent a DA40 XLS with the terrific GFC700 autopilot and WAAS from either Aviation Adventures (N899DS), or Atlantic Airways (N309DS) there. A flight school in Hagerstown, MD (KHGR) -- V1 Aeronautics -- also has a DA40 for rent.

If you can send me a private message, I may also be able to connect you to a private DA40 owner much closer to Baltimore who flies out of Freeway airport (W00) in MD, or another private owner I know with a DA40 based in Frederick, MD (KFDK).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
BaltimoreDave1

Post by BaltimoreDave1 »

Thanks for the quick responses guys. CFIDave, I would like to private message you but I'm not sure I can without an account. I submitted an account request and I'll message you once it gets approved.

It sounds like Leesburg is a good choice to get some hours in both types. I have a few hours in a 2008 DA40 XLS when there was one on lease-back at KFDK. Unfortunately the instructor did not have much Diamond/G1000 time so we didn't get very deep into technical capabilities (never got the GFC700 linked up to the flight plan). Ideally I'd like to do a weekend with someone knowledgable where both my wife and I can get some solid hours in type. We are comfortable operating our 172 and would like to find an airplane where we feel we can get to, and maintain, a similar level of proficiency.

Thanks again!

Dave
DiamondMike1

Post by DiamondMike1 »

Dream Flight School at Carrol County airport in Westminster, MD has a nicely equipped DA40 for rent.

Excellent flight school.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

DiamondMike1 wrote:Dream Flight School at Carrol County airport in Westminster, MD has a nicely equipped DA40 for rent.

Excellent flight school.
All the aircraft I mentioned above have the GFC700 autopilot and WAAS; I recall that the KDMW flight school DA40 is a 2006 with only a KAP140 autopilot.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI