Managing cabin temperature

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

h20wrks
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: 815DS
Airports: 60J

Re: Managing cabin temperature

Post by h20wrks »

Last summer we flew Baja Mexico at up to 117' F, I created these plastic vents to increase the cabin airflow and outside of the increased noise they flew well up to 140 knots. I traced the opening and cut out the vent opening on some 3/4" plywood. I clamped the plastic over the opening in the plywood and used a heat gun with a little persuasion to shape the scoop. I shaped the hinge with a cutoff piece of the Plexi and the plastic Velcro makes it removable for colder weather flying.
Attachments
DA40 vent.JPG
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

CFIDave wrote:[There's never been a Diamond DA40-180 stall-spin accident due to its wing and docile handling.
:D
viewtopic.php?t=5630
Wow, from the pictures it looks like it hit nose down, left wing low -- the left wing is broken off and the nose suffered tremendous damage. Looks like the plane might have impacted while in a spin.
Fact is the SR22 G6 is a great plane in many respects, which completely outclasses the DA40 as it stands today, whether we like it or not. From avionics, to range to payload, to de-icing, to creature comforts, fit and finish, looks, you name it... And another fact is that if we count the number of stall spin accidents associated with the DA40 NG, I would not be surprised that we have MORE of these per flight hour on that specific model than Cirrus... :cry:
And Cirrus have had the tinted windows for years, because they LISTEN... which brings us back on topic...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Sure the SR22 "outclasses" the DA40, but you're comparing apples vs. oranges. The DA40 XLT fully equipped is a $450K aircraft, whereas the SR22 G6 is $700-800K as typically equipped (around $900K for the Turbo).

And yes, I forgot about the ONE accident (in Utah) in a Lycoming DA40 that might have been stall-spin. This is still extremely rare compared to Cirrus aircraft, which also happen to catch fire in accidents far more often -- a worse "cabin temperature" issue.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Back to the topic. I think Jim's work is remarkable. This is something that would probably sell like hot cakes if listed by Aircraft Spruce. hint... hint...
And to Diamond Canada's new President
你什么时候会修理这架飞机 - 最后
H60 pilot

Post by H60 pilot »

Dave you have no selling to do towards me, I fly DA40s over the alternatives for a reason, it's a fantastic airplane. I have so much confidence in the airframe in fact, I believe my wife (with no formal pilot training) could safely land the 40. It's a dream to hand fly and provides the control harmony and feedback similar to the $15 million aircraft I fly daily. As to the accident in Utah, it smells of gross pilot negligence or perhaps incapacitation to me. I'm just not convinced a pilot on the controls of a DA40 (IO-360 model) with so much as a heartbeat could crater this aircraft. The Cirrus product line is enviable, although not without faults. My comparisons are more geared towards the G6 SR20 than the more capable SR22. I've noticed Cirrus has not updated the performance data on their website for the 2017 SR20. I'm interested to know what a combination of reduced weight and increase in power yields on this airframe. Which leads me back to the original topic: Their are a lot of small ankle biters I don't like about the DA40, however I can live with just about all of them. The exceedingly hot cabin temperatures are not among those I can so easily accept. It's not as if I'm asking Diamond to make a change requiring recertification, I'm just asking for *explitive* window tinting from the factory! Again, not asking for a 55° cool cabin on a hot day, just a reduction in temperature from liquid boiling lava hot to just hot. I'm a buyer with a huge Diamond bias, Diamond either wants to sell me a plane or they don't. Currently they do not. I'm otherwise confident with my ability to keep a Cirrus greasy side down.