5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Stratus 3 surprise

Post by Rich »

I sent this off to Appareo yesterday:

Stratus 3: I was doing some IFR practice with a safety pilot today. I use Foreflight, he uses FlyQ. He was connected to my Stratus 3 and could see traffic just fine. I could not stay connected to the Stratus and could not see traffic. I kept getting a message to set the Stratus to Foreflight Mode. I did and it would work for a few seconds and then disconnect.

I had not set the Stratus to Open ADS-B Mode (I hadn't known about this).

Are the 2 modes mutually incompatible? Does FlyQ set this mode somehow? Can you explain?

And got this reply:

Richard,

You are correct that this is two different modes. There is a ForeFlight mode (which you can also use Stratus Insight EFB) and then Open GDL 90 protocol. ForeFlight is on their mode and most other apps are on the Open GDL 90 mode (such as FlyQ).
Most major apps have put in a feature that automatically turns the mode to the correct channel to provide the ADS-B information. This is what you were experiencing on your last flight.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5