5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Garmin OnePak vs PilotPak

Post by Rick »

chili4way wrote:Can someone point me to the differences in map coverage between the "United States" and "Americas" options on the Garmin "One Pak"? I'm interested in knowing what marginal coverage of Canadian airspace (and airports?) is provided in the United States Package. A practical application of this: could I fly to/from the Diamond factory (CYXU) from the USA with the United States package?
Paul, I can help a little. The "Americas" coverage includes the US coverage (just the states) plus Canada and Mexico and maybe some of the islands south of the US. As far as marginal Canada coverage with the US package, I have experience with that. I had only the US package when I made my first trip to the Diamond factory in Canada - I just never thought about it. The YXU VOR on the field in London shows up, but not the CYXU airport. You can easily navigate to the field using the VOR, but the G1000 doesn't know there is an airport there! So no approaches in the G1000 database, etc. - and on short final your terrain warning will go crazy! If you choose to go there and not get the Canadian coverage, know how to disable your terrain warning! But it is doable if you are prepared for the missing information. You can also call Garmin and add Canada coverage to your US subscription for just a month if you want, and then cancel it then next month. I have done this for subsequent trips to the factory.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Rick, thanks for the clear reply, and I apologize for the delay in seeing it and acknowledging it. Your single-month solution for Canada (and any other "non-US" destinations) makes a lot of sense. As to the original topic of this post, I am planning to subscribe to the "United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak". I found no reason to pay more for the PilotPak. Thanks again!
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Yeah Garmin's explanation what is in each is not easy to understand. We have three aircraft in our club, and when it comes time to renew the subs, I always have to get clarification from outside of Garmin what the real difference is.