4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Stainless Nose Wheel Tow Bar Protectors

Post by Charles K »

I recall seeing that someone made and sells stainless plates that attach to the nose pant that create a stainless protection so we don't ding the paint on the nose wheel where the tow bar goes into the holes on each side.

I am having my nose pant stripped and repainted during annual. Could someone point me back to these and where to get them - thanks !

Charles
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Re: Stainless Nose Wheel Tow Bar Protectors

Post by Gnomad »

Charles K wrote:I recall seeing that someone made and sells stainless plates that attach to the nose pant that create a stainless protection so we don't ding the paint on the nose wheel where the tow bar goes into the holes on each side.

I am having my nose pant stripped and repainted during annual. Could someone point me back to these and where to get them - thanks !

Charles
Call Stuart at Dillon's Aviation, he can get a set for you. They had an issue making one for me since my 2012 DA40 has gone to a single screw. Apparently previous models use two screws per side and that's what they had tooled.

http://www.dillonsaviation.com/
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Gnomad wrote:
Call Stuart at Dillon's Aviation, he can get a set for you. They had an issue making one for me since my 2012 DA40 has gone to a single screw. Apparently previous models use two screws per side and that's what they had tooled.
Eric, could you post some pictures of those protectors?
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Gnomad »

Kai wrote:
Gnomad wrote:
Eric, could you post some pictures of those protectors?
I don't have them, since when I was there last all he had tooled were the 2 screw versions. My 2012 DA40 takes only 1 screw. This topic came up more recently in another thread were, I believe, Colin pointed out that Stuart might not be inclined to getting around to mailing them. Oh...it was a topic on the window latches. Anyway, Dillon's has these things tooled for really cheap, but if you aren't actually in the shop, might have trouble purchasing. YMMV.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Gnomad wrote:
I don't have them, since when I was there last all he had tooled were the 2 screw versions. My 2012 DA40 takes only 1 screw. This topic came up more recently in another thread were, I believe, Colin pointed out that Stuart might not be inclined to getting around to mailing them. Oh...it was a topic on the window latches. Anyway, Dillon's has these things tooled for really cheap, but if you aren't actually in the shop, might have trouble purchasing. YMMV.
... maybe anyone can post a photo of that? I really have no clue what they are about. I have never had this problem, either
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Gnomad »

Kai wrote:... maybe anyone can post a photo of that? I really have no clue what they are about.
I went over to the community hanger to see if either of the DA40's had the protectors...they both did. Here's a pic Kai...

Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Gnomad wrote: I went over to the community hanger to see if either of the DA40's had the protectors...they both did. Here's a pic Kai...

Thank you, Eric! I have never seen it before and haven´t had a problem with the towbar scratching the wheelpants. I should say that I have used it rarely, though.

Why is the metal plate designed to protect the rear but not the front of the hole? Do you know?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Those are really nice. That area of the nose wheel pant is difficult to avoid scratching, either installing the tow bar, or during removal and reinstallation of the pant. I would definitely buy a set.

Steve
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Steve wrote:Those are really nice. That area of the nose wheel pant is difficult to avoid scratching, either installing the tow bar, or during removal and reinstallation of the pant. I would definitely buy a set.

Steve

Hmmm.... did anybody ever think of improving the towbar so it won't slip? I found it a bit too wobbly when turning the wheel.

Wouldn't transparent film in that area be sufficient?
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Gnomad »

Kai wrote:
Gnomad wrote: I went over to the community hanger to see if either of the DA40's had the protectors...they both did. Here's a pic Kai...

Thank you, Eric! I have never seen it before and haven´t had a problem with the towbar scratching the wheelpants. I should say that I have used it rarely, though.

Why is the metal plate designed to protect the rear but not the front of the hole? Do you know?
I don't think the design has anything to do with protecting the rear more than the front. I'm pretty sure it's designed this way because that's where the existing bolts are. :P

My 2012 has a single bolt right in the middle of where the two bolts are in the pic.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)