5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: Stainless Nose Wheel Tow Bar Protectors

Post by Kai »

Gnomad wrote: I don't think the design has anything to do with protecting the rear more than the front. I'm pretty sure it's designed this way because that's where the existing bolts are. :P

My 2012 has a single bolt right in the middle of where the two bolts are in the pic.

Eric, I went to take a close look at my wheelpants. Yes, now I see: the hole does wear out a little bit and a stainless steel plate would do some good. Although I don't know where you have the hole to attach the plate, would a plate of more or less the same size help? Then you could drill the hole yourself...

Btw, in the sketch attached, the units are metric although the hole for the tow bar plugs is exactly 1 1/2 ".
Attachments
wheelpantsprotector.jpg
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Kai wrote: Eric, I went to take a close look at my wheelpants. Yes, now I see: the hole does wear out a little bit and a stainless steel plate would do some good. Although I don't know where you have the hole to attach the plate, would a plate of more or less the same size help? Then you could drill the hole yourself...

Btw, in the sketch attached, the units are metric although the hole for the tow bar plugs is exactly 1 1/2 ".
I had talked to Stuart, at Dillon's, about making me a single hole set. Mostly because I think they look cool, I don't have any tow bar slippage and am generally careful. In the end I decided not to pursue it because it'll be a non-issue in a few months when my DA42 is finished! ;)
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Gnomad wrote:
Kai wrote: Eric, I went to take a close look at my wheelpants. Yes, now I see: the hole does wear out a little bit and a stainless steel plate would do some good. Although I don't know where you have the hole to attach the plate, would a plate of more or less the same size help? Then you could drill the hole yourself...

I had talked to Stuart, at Dillon's, about making me a single hole set. Mostly because I think they look cool, I don't have any tow bar slippage and am generally careful. In the end I decided not to pursue it because it'll be a non-issue in a few months when my DA42 is finished! ;)
Quit rubbing that in :mrgreen: when you get it, please come by Oklahoma and pick me up. Would love to see it.

Thanks for the above drawings as I think I can have these built here locally. This should be easy to reproduce. I use a power tow tug and would protect my pants from scrapes.

Jeff

Jeff
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

I found the tow bar that's dedicated for the diamond Da40 is half bolt size loose. so, you can drill another hole on the securing bolt so that it can get a little tighter when secured or purchase a heavy duty tow bar and adapter so that it will not dislodge at all with much better thread tightening mechanism.
Kai wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 am
Steve wrote:Those are really nice. That area of the nose wheel pant is difficult to avoid scratching, either installing the tow bar, or during removal and reinstallation of the pant. I would definitely buy a set.

Steve

Hmmm.... did anybody ever think of improving the towbar so it won't slip? I found it a bit too wobbly when turning the wheel.

Wouldn't transparent film in that area be sufficient?
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

yl472401 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:50 pm I found the tow bar that's dedicated for the diamond Da40 is half bolt size loose. so, you can drill another hole on the securing bolt so that it can get a little tighter when secured or purchase a heavy duty tow bar and adapter so that it will not dislodge at all with much better thread tightening mechanism.
Kai wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 am
Steve wrote:Those are really nice. That area of the nose wheel pant is difficult to avoid scratching, either installing the tow bar, or during removal and reinstallation of the pant. I would definitely buy a set.

Steve

Hmmm.... did anybody ever think of improving the towbar so it won't slip? I found it a bit too wobbly when turning the wheel.

Wouldn't transparent film in that area be sufficient?

I found the original tow bar and the one supplied as part of the extended baggage mod very. Hard to use. Years ago I got a bogi bar made for the DA40. Much better.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I used these to protect the tow bar slot in the nose wheel and wing root.

https://www.aircraftpaintprotection.com/DA-40_c_24.html
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The Bogi bar is so good that I think the factory switched to them.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Colin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 pm The Bogi bar is so good that I think the factory switched to them.
Correct. It's what came with my 2018 DA40NG.