3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Re: iPad in DA40

Post by cptndavid »

I have installed the ball mount in my DA 42 . I now need to determine the proper parts from RAM mounts to attach the i pad pro 11 inch unit. Has anyone done this mod yet and if so can you send part numbers and photos. Thank you. David
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

cptndavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:17 pm I have installed the ball mount in my DA 42 . I now need to determine the proper parts from RAM mounts to attach the i pad pro 11 inch unit. Has anyone done this mod yet and if so can you send part numbers and photos. Thank you. David
RAM has a cradle specifically for the Pro 11. As far as what arm you might want to use, There is a selection on the RAM site. Setups that work for minis may not quite work for the Pro 11. If you're like me you'll wind up experimenting (like forever :D ).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

I got the RAM cradle for the pro 11 ; it was too heavy for the ball , arm and iPad. I used a part of my MGF mount and added a ball to the clip , shortened the arm to about 5 inches and it seems to work. I have not flown with it yet, we are leaving for Florida on Monday and will give the mount a good work out and determine if I need to make changes.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

I apologize if this has been covered (it probably has) but 15 pages is a lot to wade through. In my defense, at least I started to.

For those flying a DA40 without a permanent mounting solution, how are you displaying an iPad Pro 11"? Photos will be very helpful. I'm flying a club airplane, so the solution needs to be portable. I'm currently using a suction mount on the window for my Mini. I'm not concerned with which specific cradle, just how to place it.

Like many, I was hoping for a Mini 6 announcement. My Mini 4 is showing it's age. I'm going to hold out until mid-summer but then I have a choice to make.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

midlifeflyer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:31 am I apologize if this has been covered (it probably has) but 15 pages is a lot to wade through. In my defense, at least I started to.

For those flying a DA40 without a permanent mounting solution, how are you displaying an iPad Pro 11"? Photos will be very helpful. I'm flying a club airplane, so the solution needs to be portable. I'm currently using a suction mount on the window for my Mini. I'm not concerned with which specific cradle, just how to place it.

Like many, I was hoping for a Mini 6 announcement. My Mini 4 is showing it's age. I'm going to hold out until mid-summer but then I have a choice to make.
Among all the billions of posts, I did try my pro 11 mounted by suction cup on the vent window and it worked - sort of. The heavier weight than the mini was too much for the ubiquitous 1" RAM ball. The inevitable bounces of even minor turbulence and regular maneuvering caused the unit to slowly sag down. A suction cup approach that doesn't use those 1" balls (RAM has larger balls available) might work. Another concern might be the fragile nature of the plastic window latches. I had swapped mine out for the bronze replacements.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Mark,
My wife is still using a mini 4 for FF (and all sorts of non-flying things) all the time. It is slower to bring up maps in FF, but once running it works fine. I can't speak to battery life, and I'm guessing that's a problem you're running into.

Overall, the minis are more compatible with the DA40, especially one used by multiple pilots. The mini-5 is apparently a higher-performing version, but I agree that if a 6 becomes available with improvements seen in the Pro 11, that would be the best bet. Apple has historically been slower with the mini upgrades, sadly.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

Rich wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm Mark,
My wife is still using a mini 4 for FF (and all sorts of non-flying things) all the time. It is slower to bring up maps in FF, but once running it works fine. I can't speak to battery life, and I'm guessing that's a problem you're running into.
Nope. Just overall age. I find it slower for everything, not just initial loading. It's acting [pretty much the same as when I retired previous iPad (I've been using FF for more than 10 years)
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

Rich wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:30 pm
Among all the billions of posts, I did try my pro 11 mounted by suction cup on the vent window and it worked - sort of. The heavier weight than the mini was too much for the ubiquitous 1" RAM ball. The inevitable bounces of even minor turbulence and regular maneuvering caused the unit to slowly sag down. A suction cup approach that doesn't use those 1" balls (RAM has larger balls available) might work. Another concern might be the fragile nature of the plastic window latches. I had swapped mine out for the bronze replacements.
Thank you. I had been thinking solely in terms of form factor and location but, now that you mention it, I noticed that issue years ago when trying to thread a yoke mount under rather than over it with a full-size iPad. I think it was mor an issue of slippage than ball size, but you might be right. Of course, the new 11' Pro is lighter than all my prior iPads other than the Mini.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

midlifeflyer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:40 pm
Rich wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm Mark,
Nope. Just overall age. I find it slower for everything, not just initial loading. It's acting [pretty much the same as when I retired previous iPad (I've been using FF for more than 10 years)
There are still rumors of a mini-6 this year. I'd hold off a bit on the pro 11. If it gets bad enough apparently a -5 is a big improvement. Like you, I've been using FF on iPad for s similar time. I've still got a mini and mini-2 that won't run iOS past 12.x lurking in my stash (along with 4 old samsung phones).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

midlifeflyer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 pm Thank you. I had been thinking solely in terms of form factor and location but, now that you mention it, I noticed that issue years ago when trying to thread a yoke mount under rather than over it with a full-size iPad. I think it was mor an issue of slippage than ball size, but you might be right. Of course, the new 11' Pro is lighter than all my prior iPads other than the Mini.
A non-ball linkage should work, but I also notice on the RAM page they show weight ratings for the various size balls. The 1" ball is rated up to 2 lbs. which is the ragged edge for a pro-11 + cradle + lever arm. The large ones are progressively higher-rated. I use a pro-11 but use a semi-permanent mount I've posted on this thread. I've since decided this will come to be useful for my wife in her role as pinch-hitter. In its current location it can readily be rotated for her use so I'm fine with leaving it there. Otherwise mounting to the vent window would be OK and would be helpful for more graceful ingress/egress :D