5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Re: iPad in DA40

Post by Jean »

I did the iOS7 upgrade on iPaad 3. RocketRoute is now unstable when i try to change map settings (it quits).
I read a warning from WingX on Avweb stating problems with the new OS.
Also noticed a fast battery exhaustion when many apps are open in the background. I now crefully shut down any app I don't use.
So, I would recommend not to hurry for this upgrade.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Jean wrote:I did the iOS7 upgrade on iPaad 3. RocketRoute is now unstable when i try to change map settings (it quits).
I read a warning from WingX on Avweb stating problems with the new OS.
Also noticed a fast battery exhaustion when many apps are open in the background. I now crefully shut down any app I don't use.
So, I would recommend not to hurry for this upgrade.
On the battery front, there are a ton of things you can do in the settings to conserve battery power. Haven't found any mainstream articles on this yet, but if you google something along the lines of ios7 and power saving, there are quite a few videos with good tips. Definately turn off 'Auto-Update' as this could be disastrous on an instrument approach.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
pilotmichael
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by pilotmichael »

Gnomad wrote:Definately turn off 'Auto-Update' as this could be disastrous on an instrument approach.
By default, the auto update feature is only set to work if you are connected to the internet via WIFI. Which you wouldn't be in the plane. Therefore this should not foul you up on an approach.

I think auto update is one of the best new features of IOS 7 so I wanted to clear that up.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I did IOS 7 update yesterday and it did not go well. Initially the stupid thing would repeatedly reboot. I got this under control finally by booting in restore mode and restoring from Mac backup, which proceeded to replace the 7.0.1 with 7.0.2.

It's behaving OK right now, except I've had to manually reload several apps due to a past apple id problem.

I have yet to test the auto-update feature being OFF when using the Stratus with Foreflight, as it's a WiFi connection and I can see IOS getting confused by that. The good news is you can turn it on/off for individual apps. I do figure it's worth it to shut down as many apps as you can when using it in flight, particularly if you're not using an external power source for the iPad.

In any case, I also recommend not being in a big hurry to do this update.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Ok, time for an update. Took a recent trip between KPAE and S39 and back a couple of days later. Due to various factors, the trip down was 2.6 hobbs hours and 2.2 back, and this reflected the time FF/Stratus were in operation. Both were VFR flights. Used Foreflight with the Stratus II. Neither unit was plugged in to ship's power, just using their respective batteries.

I've found that the Stratus works fine if placed in that blank space behind the Hobbs meter between the seats. Held in place with some Velcro. Locks on the GPS constellation very quickly and the iPad hooks up.

Neither device ran out of charge. I shut down everything but Foreflight. The iPad mini I have uses about 20% per hour doing this. On longer flights or flying days the unit will need to be powered externally, as it wouldn't support more than a tankful of fuel.

The setup worked flawlessly the whole way. Very convenient to be able to pick up weather for your destination lonnnngg before you can receive ATIS/AWOS.

As expected, there was a dead spot for ADS-B crossing the Cascades at 8,500 ft, but it didn't last very long. Foreflight reports on the map screen how many ADS-B towers it's receiving at any given time, so you know when it's operative. As I approached PDX from the Southeast it reported it was receiving from 3 towers. 2 is pretty common. No ADS-B on the ground at S39, but came up quickly upon departure.

I still don't have ADS-B out in the plane, so traffic reporting is spotty.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

An update. Now running iPad mini/Foreflight 7.3/Stratus II (with aux. ADS-B antenna) and iOS 9. All is working great. I've reverted to mounting the iPad on the stick. I've flown for awhile with it mounted over the center console and over to my left side, and found these unsatisfactory for me for various reasons.

The newest version of Foreflight will now work with GDL 84/88, GNS/GTN units if you also have a Garmin Flight Stream 210. This eliminates the need for a Stratus and allows interchanging a flight plan with a GNS/GTN unit via the 210. Just thought some of you might be interested to know this.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

For my latest trick-

I bought a second iPad mini for my wife to use FF while flying. With both running FF fed from the Stratus II it enhances her engagement in the process, let her watch/listen for ADS-B traffic as well as I and provides a backup unit. Apple has been selling out inventory of mini-2's with 32 GB for $319.

Teaching her to look up weather and such for me while flying.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Working on my instrument rating, so it's time to get serious about gear. It's been a couple of years since anyone has commented on this forum about mounting brackets. I am wondering if there is anything new out there I should be looking at. I am running a prehistoric iPad (I have no idea what generation it is) with Foreflight and a Bad Elf Pro GPS (which I really like). Maybe I should upgrade to a Mini?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thx.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I've gone back to mounting my iPad mini on the stick. Basically standard RAM yoke-mount stuff, with one modification and some padding beneath the clamp. This places the screen right below the six-pack in my field of vision. And with the Stratus II now delivering synthetic vision, this presents a reasonable backup to the gyros. This position also prevents bright sunshine from overheating the iPad. There is nothing sitting on top of the instrumental panel any more, except for the velcro pads left over from when there were. This is not for everyone. I've seen folks freak out with a display mounted on the stick. And you need to be of modest girth so the iPad doesn't interfere with aft stick travel.

iPad plugs into my headset for traffic and other audio warnings.

I'm arranging to hang a high-capacity Li-ion battery in front of the front seat to extend the capacity of the iPad for long flights. This would only be needed for day-long trips. For my typical day, the basic iPad capacity is fine.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I use a RAM mount to put the iPad mini so that it sits in the perfect visual spot when I am on an approach (which is when I most want that display on). You can see it in both portrait mode and landscape mode in this blog post.

There is now USB power under my left knee, but I haven't needed to plug it in yet. The audio can go to my headset via Bluetooth, but I don't think I have bothered with that, either, except to test it. The visuals are enough.

For sun concerns I use the automobile screens with suction cups, so the unit is usually in the shade.

Yes, upgrading to the mini is a great idea. I am even tempted to replace mine with the latest model. The Stratus is now in the luggage area on a velcro pad with USB power. Real peace of mind.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)