5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: iPad in DA40

Post by Rich »

To address the potential issue of battery life in the units, I have a 26 amp-hour Nekteck Li-ion battery with dual 5V outputs.

And the Stratus seems to be very accurate, correlating its display with the 530W/430W units, the effectiveness of the Synthetic vision, and the fact it tracks taxiing with a couple of feet. I do not use the auxiliary GPS antenna. I do use the auxiliary ADS-B antenna.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin (et al),
I have (actually had) a iPad Air2 that I mounted on the far left panel by mounting a RAM Diamond Ball Base (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-238U) using 2 of the screws that fit this base perfectly on the far left side, attaching at RAM double socket arm (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U) that then attaches to a RAM iPad cradle holding the ipad. it is all rotatable as needed, the left side vent blows cold air on to the iPad so it never overheats, and the full size iPad shows me everything I need for approaches. I have tried multiple (and I mean at least 4 other) different solutions and I have found this to be the most satisfactory in the fairly tight DA42 cockpit. It doesn't interfere with other switches and gauges, doesn't block any windows or window vents, and is out of the way of controls.

I am at work and not 100% sure of the precise Diamond Ball Base (and socket arm) that worked. So, if you want the exact part # let me know and I will find it at home. I removed all this last week in preparation for my plane returning to the factory on Thursday.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Thanks guys - helpful stuff. Pretty amazing I can ask a question on my way out the door, come back at lunch and have all this info. What a great site.

I'll take a look at the Minis. "Honey, I promise, this is the last airplane expense!" :lol:
Veldung
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N526EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Veldung »

carym wrote:Colin (et al),
I have (actually had) a iPad Air2 that I mounted on the far left panel by mounting a RAM Diamond Ball Base
Cary, do you have a picture of the setup by any chance?

Thanks
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

The only thing worse than my flying is my picture taking. But here are a couple of pictures of the setup.
This is the ball base screwed into the panel
This is the ball base screwed into the panel
this is the RAM arm attached to the base
this is the RAM arm attached to the base
This is the ProClip attached to arm
This is the ProClip attached to arm
Sorry about the latter 2 pics that are turned on their side. You can see my leg in the last pic as I am sitting in the plane taking the pic.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
Veldung
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N526EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Veldung »

Thank you! Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend :)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

I happen to use an Android tablet instead of an iPad, and posted details of a panel mount solution in 2014 (link to earlier post).

This should work great with an iPad mini, except for the inductive charging which Apple has not yet invented. ;)

One of the big advantages of this mounting is that the vent is still accessible, but can blow cool air directly on the tablet. Everything is in a natural scan position, and so far the tablet stays firmly in place even in severe turbulence (though sometimes not for engine start-up).

I've since modified the installation, and last year a local FSDO inspector gave this a thumbs-up. The ProClip mount in the original post eventually broke the "hinge" at the edge that snaps the tablet into place. I miss the elegance of the ProClip design, but changed to a RAM X-Grip II tablet holder, which seems much more durable than the ProClip and works better with the inductive charger. I also switched from a "cigarette lighter" style USB adapter to a pair of TrueBlue TA102 USB ports (one on each side of the instrument panel) signed-off by my mechanic as a minor modification. These are pricey (TSO'd), but supply 2.1A from each port and generate no EMI.

BTW, USB chargers use high-frequency DC-to-DC converters that radiate RF signals unless very well shielded. In my experience these devices can sometimes cause LOI with the G1000. This is particularly exciting on an IMC approach. :shock:

Chris

Inductive charger & USB ports are obviously optional.
Inductive charger & USB ports are obviously optional.
This square aluminum base is apparently obsolete, but a comparable round composite base (RAP-B-202U) should be even easier to use. Note that the mounting screw is simply a slightly (10mm?) longer version of the same Allen-head screws used for the instrument panel. The only function of the screw is to keep the double-sided tape from slowly losing grip.
This square aluminum base is apparently obsolete, but a comparable round composite base (RAP-B-202U) should be even easier to use. Note that the mounting screw is simply a slightly (10mm?) longer version of the same Allen-head screws used for the instrument panel. The only function of the screw is to keep the double-sided tape from slowly losing grip.
Pilot's side vent can either point directly at the tablet, or the pilot, or some combination.
Pilot's side vent can either point directly at the tablet, or the pilot, or some combination.
Pilot's view.
Pilot's view.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

Yes, I believe Chris was the inspiration for my panel mount solution for the DA42. Whether one uses a mini or full size iPad, I think this panel mount solution is the way to go if you own the plane
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Oh nooo! It obscures your N- number! How can you remember which aircraft you are flying? :scratch:

Steve
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Steve wrote:Oh nooo! It obscures your N- number! How can you remember which aircraft you are flying? :scratch:
Magic, of course! :mrgreen:

Chris
It's magic.JPG