5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Bose ProFlite Headset PIREP in a 42-VI

Post by CFIDave »

FWIW, I have both Bose A20s (that I bought first) *AND* Lightspeed Zulu 3s, and I greatly prefer the cheaper Zulu 3s. They're also a huge improvement over the original Zulus that I bought (and wore out) many years ago.

Independent of aircraft radio use, I think that the Zulu 3s sound much better on music than the Bose. A favorite audiophile saying related mostly to their speakers is: "No highs, no lows, must be Bose!" :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

FWIW, I have been flying with my Quiet Technology headset for more than 6 years ( https://www.quiettechnologies.com/ ). I used them in my DA42, in a Cirrus SR20 and SR22, in a C310, and now am using them in my Bonanza. I really love this headset and have relegated by Bose ANR set to the right seat passenger. They are so light it is like not wearing any headset. The key is to make sure the yellow ear pieces are placed appropriately in the ear. He had data on his web site that showed the noise reduction was as good as ANR headsets. And, his service is as good as any other manufacturer with whom I have interacted.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

My favorite is my Clarity Aloft. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're more expensive than the Halos, but I've had them longer than the competitors have even been around. I can't speak to CA tech support, because I've never needed it.

Like the Halo, the slight downside is fitting the earpieces in. So when I'm doing stuff like Young Eagles flights, where you're in and out of the plane constantly, I've been using my Lightspeed Zulu. The downside (for these and all over-the-ear sets I've come across) is that I can't wear a normal ball cap, as the ear pads span into the cap area, leaving an air gap into which noise seeps to an unacceptable level. But I've found a "sun hat" that sits more perched on my head to get around that.

Still the CA's are my choice for all-day flying. The ear tips are made by Comply, to which I go for replacements.

I don't have anything against the battery powered headsets. I own 4 of them (plus two passive over-the-ears). I get 28 AA batteries I need to find a use for every 24 months, anyway :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
jasona
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N272MB
Airports:

Post by jasona »

I fly with the ProFlight in my 42NG, they are much lighter than the A20s and they work on 6-pin plug so no batteries required. They are much nicer on lost flights, I find the A20s hurt the top of my head after awhile. The only complaint I have is the cable, but with the cable clipped to the seat beat I haven't had any issues. The noise cancellation is as good as the A20 and the bluetooth function is more or less the same.