IFR Long Beach - Can we avoid Icing Up? (Full ATC)

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

IFR Long Beach - Can we avoid Icing Up? (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

A short flight to Long Beach this morning, with cloud coverage and winter temps en-route. With the forecast showing a chance of icing, we make certain we have good “outs” and decide to launch... expecting to divert prior to our destination. We’ll see how this plays out. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: IFR Long Beach - Can we avoid Icing Up? (Full ATC)

Post by arksat »

Wayne, this is another great video! How did you feel when you had a trace ice? I've never flown any icing conditions in DA40 so I'm curious on which scale (1-5) the trace ice like in this video is:

:) 1 (no big deal) - 8) 2 (be more careful) - :x 3 (consider divert) - :shock: 4 (no, descend now) - :scream: 5 (you'll be killed)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Tosh, I've picked up ice (all were rime) only a handful of times...

One time with trace icing and no other effect on the aircraft (no pitch change, no TAS change, no change in control feel) but we had unfavorable terrain ahead and increasing precip ahead, and so we did a 180 back home. On your scale: 2 for the icing; 3 for the divert.

Another time (over Texas at 12,000') it was a 3 second burst of light icing on the leading edges (we must have flown thru a small wet snow band), but created a bit of prop roughness. We pushed the prop full forward and that shed the prop ice. We picked up no add'l ice, the front was breaking up, so we continued without issue. On your scale: 3.

The other few times were much like on this video. Lots of good "outs" with above freezing temps just a few thousand feet below. Zero impact on aircraft parameters or handling. On your scale: 2.

With PIREPs reporting ice along my route and close to my altitude... I'm a "no go". With no reports and only green/yellow on the precip map, I'll launch only if I have multiple high-certainty "outs".

Good question... thx!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Great video.

From the video it looks like only some very light rime icing.

But in level cruise if I start picking up any ice (even in a FIKI Diamond twin), I'm immediately calling ATC and telling them about the icing to request a climb or descent. ATC may also use your request as the basis for issuing an icing PIREP. (Icing during departures or arrivals rather than in cruise may require a different strategy since you're already changing altitude.)

Icing tends to exist mostly in cloud *tops*, so climbing -- if you can get out of visible moisture -- is often better than descending. Most icing layers are less than 4000 feet thick.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Dave, I agree about pickup during cruise. In this case, the trace rime I got was in the climb (5K to 9K) with the lure of getting on top. Even though the tops crept up, I didn't collect any add'l once at 9K, and then soon thereafter started a series of descents.
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I had icing twice in our DA40. The first time was during an IFR lesson and we continued our climb watching the airspeed really carefully. The second time was flying from Phoenix to Santa Monica and I complained immediately. Even in the DA42 I won't fly into conditions where ice is reported, I'm just too much of a chicken. I read about the TBM over New Jersey that went down in reported icing conditions because they were worse than reported. That plane is more capable than mine. But I have loved the FIKI equipment when I have encountered a bit of icing here and there, sort of expected because of the temperatures and conditions. I always have outs.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)