Amarillo, TX ???

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Amarillo, TX ???

Post by smoss »

Anyone with any info on the airports in Amarillo, TX? Planning a short trip there for spring break, and need to choose between the international airport, KAMA, and a small what looks to be county run airport, KTDW that has some negative reviews. Thanks for any feedback!
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Amarillo, TX ???

Post by Steve »

Hi Steve:

We did Spring Break there in 2008. Flew into KAMA, the name of the FBO escapes me. Service was fine. Be careful of the prohibited airspace NE of the field (Pantex plant - they manufacture nuclear warheads there, so they won't take it lightly if you violate their airspace). I assume you will hike Palo Duro Canyon:
Cliffs in Palo Duro Canyon park
Cliffs in Palo Duro Canyon park
There is also a great museum in Canyon, TX on the college campus. It has everything from dinosaurs to the history of the area, to windmills:
Museum in Canyon, TX
Museum in Canyon, TX
Plus, you never know who will want to park next to your airplane to get a nice photo:
B1B
B1B
PS: My young son in the photos is now 23 and in Law School!

Steve
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I flew into KAMA two years ago with CFIDave. We spent the night and walked down the street (Interstate 40 - Route 66) to a place with giant steaks. The FBO was great, no issues.
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

Amarillo is nice, I stopped by there for lunch a few years ago in the middle of a nearly coast-to-coast trip. Nice diner right on the airport, if I recall correctly. Two things surprised me, too:

a) it's in the middle of what looks like wide open area, and yet it's super busy traffic-wise
b) despite what every ounce of my SoCal Spanish placename experience tells me, it's apparently pronounced am-mah-RILL-lo, and not ah-mah-RI-yo, and that was news to my non-Texan self.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Russ- it looks like you went to The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery-will give it a try, but pretty sure my whole family combined can't eat a 72 ounce steak. Sounds like no one has gone into KTDW. Looks like an easy in/out with plenty of parking, closer, but a few very negative reviews on Airnav.
Steve
DA40 XL
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

And you have to try some Texas BBQ. Several options in Amarillo and we stopped at and enjoyed Tylers
https://tylersbarbeque.com/
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

smoss wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:56 am Thanks for all the tips everyone! Russ- it looks like you went to The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery-will give it a try, but pretty sure my whole family combined can't eat a 72 ounce steak. Sounds like no one has gone into KTDW. Looks like an easy in/out with plenty of parking, closer, but a few very negative reviews on Airnav.
Yes, that was the place. I did not have the 72oz steak! The place is thick with Texas kitsch.

As I recall the FBO arranged the hotel adjacent the Big Texan and either the hotel or the FBO gave us a ride to/from.