Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

Post by waynemcc999 »

I’ve been very fortunate to be able to fly -- pretty far and wide -- with family and friends. Today I’m off to meet with best bud Bill to brainstorm... Where should we fly for our next adventure? And we’d welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

Post by Steve »

Wayne:

Western Canada/Alaska? Couple of years ago I got the chance to fly a bit in BC (helicopter, not DA40), and it was stunningly beautiful. Flew a lot in AK when I was in the Navy, and it was likewise.

Steve
Mountains on BC/Alberta border
Mountains on BC/Alberta border
Alaska
Alaska
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Steve, agreed, I'm keen to do some flying in the BC mountains. Assuming COVID-wise we get to do the Alaska trip this summer, we'll likely take the Trench Route up through the Canadian Rockies. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the insight and great photos.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

Wayne,

As always loved your video, but I was hoping to hear more about what you and your friends may have decided upon.

While I have only done a multi-week road trip through Nova Scotia I can’t say enough great things about the experience. I have a full itinerary of lodging, hiking, and the many great places we ate (it’s all about the lobster), if you would be interested.

Once Canada opens the border and we get our vaccinations I can assure you will be heading up that way.
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

Another great experience in Canada is going heli-hiking with CMH.

https://www.cmhsummer.com/?webSyncID=d4 ... 1614268791

CMH summer.com

I wanted to not only experience the grandeur of the Canadian Rockies but also wanted to give my wife the experience of riding from hike to hike in the back of a Huey (though these air assaults could end in the hot-tub with a glass of wine vs. a foxhole). This organization went beyond everything they promised on their website. Looks like there is an airfield close to the initial pickup zone (Valemount for the Cariboos Lodge). This has been our all time favorite vacation.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Tom, thanks for the solid info on the Canadian options... shuttling to a hike in a Huey sounds awesome!

We haven't fully locked in a destination/calendar yet... but we're leaning to the Alaska/BritishColumbia option, perhaps for August this year and following the Trench Route. I'd love to also get to the Canadian Maritimes in the early autumn this year, or maybe late spring 2022. Can you DM me your Nova Scotia itinerary/details?

Flying adventures... I'm thinking it doesn't get much better!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

Count me in .. always wanted to see Canada
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Wayne, if you're headed towards the Canadian Maritimes, an absolute must on the way is a visit to Quebec City. A few years ago we flew our DA42 there for 4 delightful days in September. It's like visiting France without having to cross the Atlantic, and everyone there speaks English to tourists. One of the interesting things to do there is to tour the fortifications that ring the old part of the city -- built by the British to "keep the Americans out." :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:23 pm Wayne, if you're headed towards the Canadian Maritimes, an absolute must on the way is a visit to Quebec City. A few years ago we flew our DA42 there for 4 delightful days in September. It's like visiting France without having to cross the Atlantic, and everyone there speaks English to tourists. One of the interesting things to do there is to tour the fortifications that ring the old part of the city -- built by the British to "keep the Americans out." :)
Dave, absolutely Quebec City would be on the Maritimes tour, and we'll try to not let the fortifications keep these Yankees out, especially in a Canadian-made aircraft :) . On another forum, someone also pointed out more of France to see in the maritimes... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

Oh, so many places to visit in these wonderful flying machines!
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Wayne - great idea. The scenery is jaw dropping gorgeous, especially in the trench, where you fly between the main range and the interior ranges. Cranbrook, BC (CYXC) is an AOE so start there. Also, learn the MF procedures and Canadian “circuit” ie pattern procedures, and en route procedures which are a little different. Not difficult, just different.

Consider hopping over the Great Divide and landing in Jasper. No fuel but a very secluded and beautiful strip. You can stay in town or at the Lodge. Here are photos from last summer (from two different trips) This is approaching Jasper over the Athabasca River.
Attachments
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
6.jpeg
5.jpeg
1.jpeg
4.jpeg