VFR/IFR Visalia to San Carlos for Cocoa Bean (PnP)

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: VFR/IFR Visalia to San Carlos for Cocoa Bean (PnP)

Post by waynemcc999 »

Russ, thanks for looking into this. My major takeaway is:
"But as a practical matter, most SQL-based pilots have full familiarity with the clearance and the additional read backs clog the frequency and thus do not help overall safety."

Next time I depart KSQL runway 30, I'm going to abbreviate as Mark suggests, e.g.
"Cleared to Santa Barbara, Woodside VFR/IFR departure, vectors Woodside..." Climb via the procedure (pretend it's a SID), then maintain 2100, expect..."

Learn something every day (and re-learn something even more frequently).
Thanks all,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I've done it enough times that in the end it is simply a right downwind departure with a few restrictions on altitude and how close in to keep it. Crossing the radial to get the higher altitude is basically once at midfield downwind.

I now generally leave there IFR to go back home to KCCR even when VFR conditions because it saves me from worrying about the airspace and I get higher sooner and a nice direct route almost always.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Charles K wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:16 pm I've done it enough times that in the end it is simply a right downwind departure with a few restrictions on altitude and how close in to keep it. Crossing the radial to get the higher altitude is basically once at midfield downwind.

I now generally leave there IFR to go back home to KCCR even when VFR conditions because it saves me from worrying about the airspace and I get higher sooner and a nice direct route almost always.
Charles, I'm totally with you... I also pretty much always fly IFR into and out of KSQL... better to have ATC to worry about all that airspace. :)
Thanks for checking in!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

I had just flown into KSQL VFR, and didn't find it that hard. If you track the RNAV while VFR, it keeps you below the Bravo shelves. On departure, I thought about leaving IFR but your video made me think twice — it seems much easier to depart VFR, fly the Woodside departure (for example), and then pick up in the air if needed.