IFR Van Nuys for Jack to Demo BATD (Full ATC)

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

IFR Van Nuys for Jack to Demo BATD (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

More fun in the marine layer, landing historic Van Nuys 16R, and time on an FAA-approved Basic Aviation Training Device. My good friend Jack, and SR22T pilot, is looking to purchase either a BATD (log-able for currency, but limited to generic aircraft) -or- a high-end Home Simulator (not log-able for currency, but with Cirrus-specific panel hardware). If someone were to gift you one of these two options, what would be your thoughts and considerations? Do you have difficulty, especially during COVID, in staying current with approaches/holds? Or, is currency a non-issue but you’d like the ability to fly more procedures at home for proficiency, maybe even with real-person ATC (e.g. PilotEdge.net) to keep you sharp?
Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: IFR Van Nuys for Jack to Demo BATD (Full ATC)

Post by Boatguy »

I bought the BATD and expect delivery in about 10 days.

The BATD is about procedure practice, checklist integration, etc. The G1000 panel and simulation is close enough to my DA40NG and I'm not concerned that the IAS and throttle settings are not a perfect match my plane.

Currency by flying approaches locally is the same airports and procedures over and over. WIth a RealNav subscription I will be able to fly current procedures at any US airport and preview planned trips. Currency from the BATD gives me flexibility to fly with a CFII for proficiency training whenever needed without being boxed in by the calendar.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:24 am I bought the BATD and expect delivery in about 10 days.

The BATD is about procedure practice, checklist integration, etc. The G1000 panel and simulation is close enough to my DA40NG and I'm not concerned that the IAS and throttle settings are not a perfect match my plane.

Currency by flying approaches locally is the same airports and procedures over and over. WIth a RealNav subscription I will be able to fly current procedures at any US airport and preview planned trips. Currency from the BATD gives me flexibility to fly with a CFII for proficiency training whenever needed without being boxed in by the calendar.
Russ, very cool! Keep us updated... and photos, please :lol: !
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Wayne, on your flight to Van Nuys it looked like you #3 EGT was much higher than the others even prior to the takeoff roll, any ideas why? And then on your departure that was not an issue. Just curious if you saw that as well and if so is that something normal?
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

AndrewM wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:11 pm Wayne, on your flight to Van Nuys it looked like you #3 EGT was much higher than the others even prior to the takeoff roll, any ideas why? And then on your departure that was not an issue. Just curious if you saw that as well and if so is that something normal?
Andrew, good catch. Only on this flight and the one a couple days before it, I had indeed noticed the high EGT#3 and had performed a lean runup to partially clear what I assume was a fouled plug. Both times there was a residual that cleared itself after takeoff and climbout (and I was prepared to abort the takeoff if I felt sub-performance)... and subsequent flights those two days (and one flight since) the high EGT#3 did not appear. In any event, she's now in for her annual and for this reason the squawk list has an item on plugs (inspect, clean, gap, test) and ignition wiring. I'll report the findings.
Good catch... and thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:24 am I bought the BATD and expect delivery in about 10 days.
Russ, which make/model did you end up purchasing?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I got the Redbird TD. $500 discount for being an EAA member. I bought their table, but I'll use the less expensive Logitech pedals.