IFR to Paso Robles (Full ATC) - Always Learning

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

IFR to Paso Robles (Full ATC) - Always Learning

Post by waynemcc999 »

Even though I fly quite a bit and have many more instrument approaches and holds than mandated, there is indeed always more to learn... as we’ll see together in this video 8) . Included is every single ATC exchange from takeoff to missed approach. Some age-old lessons are reinforced… and if you notice additional lessons to be learned, please point them out.

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: IFR to Paso Robles (Full ATC) - Always Learning

Post by CFIDave »

Nice video.

One thing I noticed was when you applied full power for the go-around, I saw only 2590 RPM. With a normally-aspirated IO-360 MIA, you want your governor adjusted so that the prop control full forward provides close to 2700 RPM in order to extract maximum horsepower out of the engine. Is the maximum RPM supposed to be lower/different on your supercharged IO-360?
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 am Nice video.

One thing I noticed was when you applied full power for the go-around, I saw only 2590 RPM. With a normally-aspirated IO-360 MIA, you want your governor adjusted so that the prop control full forward provides close to 2700 RPM in order to extract maximum horsepower out of the engine. Is the maximum RPM supposed to be lower/different on your supercharged IO-360?
Dave, you've got good observation skills :-). The supercharger doesn't change the max rpm, but it does rely on the pilot (yours truly) in this case to bring the throttle pretty close to 30.5". Looks like on the going-missed I was happy enough to get it settled in to 28.8", before I focused (not all that well :-) on other things. On normal takeoffs where I get ~30" I'm seeing RPMs at about 2630 or more. It's also quite possible that my prop/governor needs a bit of work.
Thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Another great video! Where do you have the GoPro mounted to get the tight angle on the panel?

I was surprised by the big altimeter setting change when that came from ATC and it could have made the miss on the backup altimeter an issue. But not enough right rudder, not too much to worry about there.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Russ, thanks again for the kind words. For this video I had a suction mount located on the windscreen sort of over the throttle quadrant. Yes, the big altimeter change is somewhat common as I traverse from the Santa Barbara marine micro-climate to over the Santa Ynez range and into the valley area. When I was based in Tahoe, it was even more severe going say Reno to Sacramento.
Thanks again for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland