How do you plan for international and/or multi-day trips? Example: Flying the Caribbean Jan2020...

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

How do you plan for international and/or multi-day trips? Example: Flying the Caribbean Jan2020...

Post by waynemcc999 »

Flying the Caribbean (Part 1) - Planning

Departing mid-Jan2020 in my DA40 with two very good friends on a 16-day flying adventure... US West Coast to East Coast, followed by 5 islands in the Caribbean.

1. How far in advance do you start planning?
2. What methods and tools do you use?
3. For multi-day trips, are you mostly flying with family, friends, and/or fellow pilots?
4. How do you research the climate in the region?
5. How do you watch for weather trends say a couple weeks out?
6. If you have several possible destinations, do you prioritize a high activity level or tranquility?
7. What safety measures do you take when flying over water?
8. Do you enjoy the "planning" portion just as much as the trip itself, or is planning drudgery for you?
9. Regarding specifically the Caribbean... any thoughts/questions/suggestions?

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: How do you plan for international and/or multi-day trips? Example: Flying the Caribbean Jan2020...

Post by Boatguy »

Mid-January is about a week away... In any case:

1. Six months. Have you picked the islands? or is that what 9. is about?
4. https://weatherspark.com/
5. Windy. Either the iPad app or the web site. It has a lot of depth so look well the surface / first display. It basically has all the forecast information, from temps to waves to cloud bases, generated by the three major weather models and presents the information graphically. Use the time slider to move through time and see what happens during a 10 day window if you're using the European model.
6. Tranquility
7. Raft, EPIRB
8. I enjoy the planning
9. I spent most of two years there on a boat. To broadly generalize, in order of preference I prefer the former (or current) colonies of:
- France (excluding Haiti)
- Netherlands
- US
- UK

- St. Barths is a well known high risk airport, I think you might even need special training to land there. But it's a great island!
- The French side of St. Martin - promotes itself as the gourmet capital of the Caribbean
- Guadeloupe is ignored by Americans but a fabulous island. It is actually a Department of France, not a territory. Excellent infrastructure, food, people, diving, etc. Take the ferry and stay in Le Marigot in Les Saintes if you have time.

I assume you're talking about just the leeward islands?

Bring your snorkeling gear!

16 days is a pretty short period. Let me know your priorities and I can be of more help.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Re: How do you plan for international and/or multi-day trips? Example: Flying the Caribbean Jan2020...

Post by waynemcc999 »

Thanks, Russ, for the feedback and very pertinent suggestions.

As the video notes, our Jan2020 trip will be with stops at Providenciales (MBPV), South Caicos (MBSC), BVI (TUPJ), Dominíca (TDCF), Nevis (TKPN), and the Exumas (MYEF)... BVI, Nevis, and Dominica as you point out, the Leeward of the Lesser Antilles.

If you have a chance to view the video, please let me know of anything we missed in our planning. Much appreciate the help offer.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Hi Wayne, looks like a super trip. The planning looks very thorough, so cannot add to anything there. The only suggestion I would make is that the Exumas is just a sensational part of that region. I have flown in there before in a C182 with the family, and visited twice since then. You probably know there are the swimming pigs, a few islands with heaps of Iganas on them which is a lot of fun to visit, and also one of my favorites is Staniel Key Yacht Club (fly into MYES). Jump of the jetty there and swim with very friendly nurse sharks, just a magnificent experience.
Attachments
IMG_0841.jpeg
IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0101.jpeg
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Andrew... very cool! Thanks for the Exumas encouragement and for checking out the videol
All the very best,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

First, sorry, I thought you were looking for information and hadn't watched the video to see you were dispensing information. It looks like you're in great shape and I could only add a couple of things.

At Virgin Gorda you drop in over a hill with a right crosswind. Spanish Town is not the most scenic in my experience. You'll no doubt make your way to the Baths. I hung out at the North Sound, Bitter End and Saba Rock, the "yachtie" community and much different than Spanish Town. Don't use a "red pen" on any forms at immigration / customs; we were harshly admonished that red ink is reserved for the Queen!

Dominica is also challenging as the prevailing wind favors 09, but the mountains do not. It is a long and very twisty drive from the airport to Rouseau. Dominca's last colonial power was the British, but the culture is much more French. Rouseau can be a tough town and much of the economy was crushed by Hurricane Marie.

Nevis is delightful. The National Park on Guadeloupe has some great hiking.

If you make any adjustments, consider Grand Case on the French side of St. Martin which has a good airport and great food.

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip!
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:52 pm First, sorry, I thought you were looking for information and hadn't watched the video to see you were dispensing information. It looks like you're in great shape and I could only add a couple of things.

[Wayne] Russ, no worries at all. Thanks for reviewing the prep we've done thus far. I'm also learning a bunch from the DAN and other forums.

At Virgin Gorda you drop in over a hill with a right crosswind. Spanish Town is not the most scenic in my experience. You'll no doubt make your way to the Baths. I hung out at the North Sound, Bitter End and Saba Rock, the "yachtie" community and much different than Spanish Town. Don't use a "red pen" on any forms at immigration / customs; we were harshly admonished that red ink is reserved for the Queen!

[Wayne] Found out that Virgin Gorda requires a special pre-checkout, so we're flying into Road Town and taking the ferry to Virgin Gorda. We'll avoid red pens everywhere ;) .

Dominica is also challenging as the prevailing wind favors 09, but the mountains do not. It is a long and very twisty drive from the airport to Rouseau. Dominca's last colonial power was the British, but the culture is much more French. Rouseau can be a tough town and much of the economy was crushed by Hurricane Marie.

[Wayne] On Dominica we're planning to fly into Rousseau (TDCF) and our lodging is near Rousseau... would you suggest we change to land and lodge at the northend (TDPD)?

Nevis is delightful. The National Park on Guadeloupe has some great hiking.

[Wayne] I've heard several nice things about Nevis, and we'll be there 2 nights.

If you make any adjustments, consider Grand Case on the French side of St. Martin which has a good airport and great food.

[Wayne] Guadeloupe and Grand Case sound like very good backups. Thanks!

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip!
Thanks for providing such insightful feedback and suggestions.
I'll post a bit during and certainly after the trip.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

BVIs - Road Town: The ferry to Virgin Gorda can be rough and wet until you're in the lee of Virgin Gorda. The return ride should be drier. At this time of year the BVIs are overrun with Americans on bareboat charters. The anchorage off the south end of the DER of 07 at Road Town is quite popular and the Baths will be clogged with boats by midday. Spanish Town is more local boats and less tourists. The charter boats go for the day to The Baths, and overnight or longer in the North Sound.

Dominica: I didn't know TDCF existed. I flew in commercial (boat on the hard in Antigua) to TDOM. TDCF will be much better. Dominica is a very mountainous island with poor roads, though perhaps renovations since Marie have improved conditions. TDCF will be much better; good find!

Jungle Bay was a delightful eco-resort on the east side of the island that was destroyed by Marie and relocated to Soufriere. It's a little nicer than Rouseau and has good snorkeling. I have not stayed at the new location, but Sam Raphael was an excellent businessman and a kind soul so I don't hesitate to recommend it.

I strongly recommend reef walkers or wet suit/fin booties when wading in to snorkel (any island) as there are occasionally small urchins and other obstacles on the bottom that can turn a lovely day in the water into a painful night picking pieces out of your feet.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Russ, now we're really getting to the good stuff... beaches, snorkeling... cool! Bigtime thanks for all this.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I don't pretend to have Russ' extensive sailing experience, but I too have visited most of the Leeward Islands via sailboat, and one of my favorite places to visit there was Dominica -- I appreciated the unspoiled wilderness with jungles and waterfalls not overrun by tourists. If that's the experience you're after, it's worth the visit.

I've only flown that direction as far as Turks & Caicos (in my DA42), but I have a good friend who flew his DA40 from the Washington area all the way to Puerto Rico and then to Guadaloupe and back with no real issues. Probably the most challenging part of your trip will be crossing the US due to winter weather and winds; in contrast the weather in the Bahamas and Caribbean this time of year is usually VMC and quite benign. Regardless, just be prepared to adjust your schedule accordingly.

Oh...and enjoy the experience of flying your DA40 in the flight levels! Once you get past the Bahamas, flying on an IFR flight plan over the ocean means you'll be setting your altimeter to 29.92 inches and assigned a flight level by Miami Center -- even if it's only 7000 feet (= FL 070) or so. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI