Oshkosh 2018 - Can I remove my gear doors?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Oshkosh 2018 - Can I remove my gear doors?

Post by ultraturtle »

Babying Ingrid (my 2015 DA42-VI) at every turn, I’m concerned about the health of her gear doors while being mangled along the turf of Oshkosh General Aviation Camping this year. I cannot find the post of one of us that incurred costly damage during this event in a previous year.

My basic question is: Can I simply remove the gear doors for this event, then slap them back on when I return home?

By the way, we’ll be arriving Sunday morning, leaving Wednesday. If there is a Diamond get-together brewing, we would like to join in.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: Oshkosh 2018 - Can I remove my gear doors?

Post by carym »

Rob,
Sorry I missed your post before OSH. I posted about my event in the DA42 several years ago. After taxiing off the runway and being marshalled to parking on the grass, I hit a bump/hole in the grass that caused the plane to jerk a bit to the left. My wing tip hit the wing tip of a C172 (or was it a C182), although at the time I had no idea that the wing tips touched. There was no damage to my plane (a little touch up paint solved the scratch) but the Cessna sustained $10,000 damage to its wing tip that I had to pay for. For the following years I made reservations to park at the Basalar ramp so I did not have to taxi on the grass.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com