Flyout to the Bahamas?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Re: Flyout to the Bahamas?

Post by wolfvoador »

At your first airport of entry into Bahamas, you have to request a "TRANSIRE", a doc that allows you to fly domestically within the Bahamas. You fill it out, they just stamp it in your AoE. In theory, you should have it stamped at each airport which has Customs (20 or so around the Bahamas), but if you just do a touch and go, or return to takeoff, they normally don't mind. If they really care, they 'll listen to 122.8, and call you.
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Are there instrument approach procedures for airports in the Bahamas? I see references to instrument approaches, and apparently you can file an IFR flight plan. But I can't find any approach plates on ForeFlight, AOPA, or Airnav, even for Freeport or Nassau.
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

Yes, there are published approaches for MYNN MYGF MYEH MYEG MYEF MYSM. They are on Jeppesen (you need a subscription there). One other thing to remember: no night VFR in Bahamas, only IFR (and only airports open are MYNN, MYGF after sunset)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Steven, within ForeFlight you can get a subscription to the Jeppesen charts (displayed and geo-referenced on the ForeFlight Maps and Plates views).
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Steven »

Thanks. Looks like it is $195 for the Jeppesen Caribbean package. I think I'll pass for the handful of charts I'll most likely not use. I don't intend to conduct the flight in IMC but I thought they might be nice to have just in case.

For the route outbound I'm thinking KFXE ZFP MRRSH(MYAM) MYCB. Seems to minimize over water distance. Bummer that Cat Island doesn't have fuel though.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've flown with a group of local pilots to the Bahamas for each of the past 5+ years and never needed Bahamas approach charts. The weather is usually VMC, and (as noted previously) you're not allowed to land after dark except at Nassau and Freeport.

As a GA pilot, the reason you want to fly to the Bahamas is so you can land at "out islands" where cruise ships with hordes of tourists can't go, and those islands have airports that are daytime VFR-only. I do, however, usually file IFR and talk to Miami Center for US border crossings and most flights between islands.

Have a great time at Cat Island!
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Steven »

Thanks CFIDave. In the Out Islands do you file IFR via ForeFlight on the ground and then pick up your clearance with Miami Center in the air? Or some other procedure?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Steven wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm Thanks CFIDave. In the Out Islands do you file IFR via ForeFlight on the ground and then pick up your clearance with Miami Center in the air? Or some other procedure?
That's exactly what I do. If flying back to the US from one of the Out Islands (with no tower), I use my iPhone/iPad to file an IFR ICAO flight plan using Foreflight, then pick up my clearance after takeoff in the air from Miami Center (you'll need to be a couple thousand feet high to reach them via radio to get good reception).

The only other things required for your return flight to the US before takeoff are:
1. File an eAPIS manifest for your flight, so you will receive permission to enter the US via email.
2. Place a voice phone call to US CBP facility at your intended port-of-entry (PoE) airport, letting them know of your intended arrival time. This call must be made at least 1 hour before your planned arrival time, but your flight from an Out Island will typically be longer than that, so no worries. And I recall that there are only 6 approved US PoE locations that will accept Bahamas arrivals -- the most northerly one is Fort Pierce (KFPR) that I typically use.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Steven »

Is it reasonable to assume the I can pay for fuel, 100LL, with a credit card throughout the Bahamas? Or should I bring some cash?

At this time I'm thinking to use Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera (MYEM) for fuel.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Many FBOs there will accept major credit cards, but you'll need to carry cash to pay Bahamas permits/fees after you first arrive. So bring cash. No need to convert to Bahamian currency; they love US dollars. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI