GA friendly airport around DC?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: GA friendly airport around DC?

Post by Colin »

I enjoyed landing at Dulles. It was part of a spring break trip and I got vectored around a bit on my IFR approach but in general it was easy. I didn't need much fuel when I was there and I am at large airports so infrequently that paying a hundred bucks a few times a year doesn't change my aviating budget.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Great info - many thanks to all, especially to Dave for taking the time to give such a comprehensive area guide. Tim: good advice, I'll find out where she is staying. She has a summer internship and is only there for 8 or 10 weeks.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

rdrobson wrote:I started the process to gain access to the FRZ on April 23rd for a planned flight on May 17th. I'm not complete yet, but it really hasn't been that difficult. I've just been following the directions of the website for College Park airport and the people I've communicated with on that end have been helpful. But, that said, I still have to do the interview which can be done remotely and get my PIN for filing the flight plan.

BTW, I chose KCGS because it has a Metro stop (and Jet A). Should make it easy to get to the city center.
Several years ago when I still had my DA42 and was going into DC 3-4x/year I planned on going into CGS and started to work on the necessary paper work/approval. However, I found that they did not have Jet-A available so I scrapped the plans. Unless things have changed, you may want to call the FBO to make sure they will have Jet-A available for you when you need it.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com