Overflight Rights

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: Overflight Rights

Post by RMarkSampson »

On my ForeFlight I can download their World Aeronautical Charts that show Control Area and Flight Information Regions (CTA/FIR). I’m use to military ONC and GNC charts which are essentially the same thing produced by the National Geospatial Agency. To get non-handler expert help I would consult FAA resources or other countries agencies - or Department of State Embassies. Here is a link to a document in the Federal Registery that may be helpful:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... c-airspace

Otherwise my mighty DA-20 does not afford me too much international experience other than running the Gulf Stream over to the Bahamas. So my personal handler expertise is mostly limited to how best to avoid landing fees with friendly FBOs IVO Florida and the Southeast... Good luck!
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

Thanks again! That is all great advice. Yes, I got the FIR boundaries and can identify the proper authorities. The quality of the published information just happens to vary greatly varies in around the world and, for the most part, tends to be nowhere close to the FAA provided information you had linked to. But again that is to expected given the sometimes rather limited resources and reasonably different set of priorities in parts of the world. I guess, somehow I should probably „just deal with it“ like everyone else. I simply was not sure, whether or not I am overlooking something here.

You triggered my curiosity regarding the FONOPs, though. I like to think I understand the intention, which is to maintain and/or re-establish access to international waters for sea-going vessels and/or airspace for aircraft outside the 12NM (or 200NM) for which there are multilateral international agreements in place. As you pointed out quite a bit of airspace over international waters is claimed by various countries for various purposes. To serve as an arbitrary example take GOD-37 (http://www.ais-asecna.org/pdf/enr/5-enr ... 5-1-01.pdf) west of Senegal. While I get the message („Area reserved for shooting at sea with large caliber“) and think it sensible to separate civil aviation and military excercises, if such areas are simply claimed or whether there exists an international framework to coordinate such areas. Would you know?
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Those look like training areas - i.e. Warning Areas. Not necessarily claimed or restricted by countries, but posted to deconflict airspace and increase safety. Around the US, NOTAMS are issued to advise other air traffic of the hazards of operating within these training areas. A lot of military training happens over international waters and there is a fine line between avoiding these hazards and being restricted from these areas. The 200NM boundaries are associated with "economic zones" where countries have agreed to establish fishing and mineral rights - thus they exercise a fair amount of control in those areas - but not "sovereignty." Economic zones don't equate to territorial airspace above them - but contested economic zones like in the South China Sea have their own risk with regard to how those countries are establishing their claims.

FONOPs normally challenge an excessive claim. One classic example is when Libya drew a straight line across the Gulf of Sidra and claimed it as "internal waters" - thus their territorial sea was twelve miles outside of that line. That was considered an excessive claim and it led to armed conflict between the US (and other nations) and Libya when they tried to defend that body of water as their sovereign territory. Most FONOPS don't lead to active conflict - most arguments are waged in diplomatic letters between countries - or registered with the United Nations.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

Ok, got it. I think I can see where the lines can start to get a bit blurry.This has been a very interesting excursion into terrain I have not come across prior to hearing about it from you. Thanks again.