Comments on the Eclipse

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KFCI

Re: Comments on the Eclipse

Post by LTek1 »

We had a few airports picked out in South Carolina to stop at on our way home from visiting family in Alabama. En route, our first and second choices both popped notams that they were closed (though I suspect the scheduled closures from 2pm to 3pm popped early) so we started listening around to see what was open. We ended up landing at Clemson Ocobee, whose staff did an excellent job of marshaling aircraft. They took fuel reservations (though only got to about half of them based on conversations I had), and then pointed us towards the tent with free lunch and extra glasses.

We actually got out pretty quick; the scariest part was hopping the 'curb' back up to the taxiway from the grass - I've never been so scared of a prop strike!

There were about 200 planes parked in the grass, and a big onslaught of large jets and turbos that arrived shortly before the eclipse. Those folks enjoyed their champagne while their crews came and ate burritos with us.

Pilots did an excellent job overall. I'm not sure if I was glad for the extra situational awareness of ADS-B display, or if it made me more anxious! This is a shot of everyone headed home.

I saw one other 40 there.
traffic.PNG
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140