Landing at Catalina Island video.

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Don Stewart
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Landing at Catalina Island video.

Post by Don Stewart »

My wife took this and edited it. We flew for lunch at the airport. I always want to be on my "A" game when landing here as one needs to be concerned about sudden downdrafts just before the threshold of runway 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunBlWFplpE
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Re: Landing at Catalina Island video.

Post by smoss »

Did they fill in any of potholes yet, or is the runway still more hole than asphalt?
Steve
DA40 XL
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The runway is still like landing on a street in lower Manhattan. Although I guess it is good practice for that. I took an acrobatic, CFII, multi-thousand hour pilot out there in my DA40 and he did the landing and takeoff. When he took off he essentially did a soft-field takeoff and had the nose wheel off immediately, then was in ground effect with the stall horn whining, and then we accelerated to the usual speeds and he climbed out. It was VERY educational.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

You have really nice CRM and I would fly with your co-pilot anytime. Having someone in the right seat calling out the speeds and cross checking everything must be really nice.

Little hard to tell, but I think I fly more over Two Harbors before I turn for the 45 entry. I find that when I do that it puts me on a track more interior to the island, where I am more able to spot incoming traffic. More than once I've been on that 45 and had someone fly in unannounced and pull in front of me.

Great video.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I flew in/out there for lunch once - forty years ago, when I had a mere 300 hours or so. There wasn't any wind and I felt the only intimidating thing about it would be in the mind of the pilot. It's plenty long and wide. A nice excursion.

There are airports around here that intimidate me more than that. Woodland, WA for one.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Don Stewart
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don Stewart »

Colin wrote:You have really nice CRM and I would fly with your co-pilot anytime. Having someone in the right seat calling out the speeds and cross checking everything must be really nice.

Little hard to tell, but I think I fly more over Two Harbors before I turn for the 45 entry. I find that when I do that it puts me on a track more interior to the island, where I am more able to spot incoming traffic. More than once I've been on that 45 and had someone fly in unannounced and pull in front of me.

Great video.
Thank you Colin for the compliment. I am big proponent for CRM, Crew Resource Management, in the cockpit. I been taught that the most dangerous component of an aircraft is the pilot(s) since we are all prone to human error. Unfortunately, most CFI's are not trained in CRM and know little about it unless they are also an airline pilot. My instrument pilot wife and I have both been trained in CRM. Unfortunately, the training we had is no longer available
to private pilots.
More CRM video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnDdrj7ZmhE