Sun N Fun anyone?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

aweingram
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: n143rd
Airports: KFWN

Sun N Fun anyone?

Post by aweingram »

Thinking of doing Sun N Fun for the first time, next week.

Leaving from Sussex NJ. plan on being at Sun N Fun Tues and Wed. May arrive Monday depending on forecasts and planning on camping with the plane and my son.

I have the Notam, and watched a video or two of the arrival, beyond that.... Gimmie the gouge please.

I've done Oshkosh (in a Class A RV) 4 years in a row. But have never been to Fun N Sun.

Anything special for Diamond Owners?

Thanks
Andy
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Re: Sun N Fun anyone?

Post by Pilot55 »

I go to sun n fun every year. What I do is fly into VDF Tampa executive get a hotel and drive to the event. only about 15 minute drive. It will get crowded there fast. Many people do this instead of landing at the event, especially if it rains there it gets soggy fast.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Sun N Fun anyone?

Post by CFIDave »

Be careful to protect DA40 wheelpants when taxiing around on the grass -- there are some hidden "holes" that you may not see.

I flew our DA40 into Sun N Fun and parked there the very first time I attended, but since then I usually fly to another nearby airport where it's easier to park and get a rental car, and then just drive to KLAL. (For 2 years I *had* to fly into KLAL since our DA42-VI was on display at the Diamond exhibit.) Unlike Oshkosh, finding a hotel for Sun N Fun is easy, especially if you're willing to drive 30 minutes on I-4 towards Tampa or Orlando. I too have had a good experience flying into KVDL.

BTW, like last year Diamond is not exhibiting this year at Sun N Fun, but they are giving DA62 demo flights at nearby Plant City airport during the show. See http://www.diamondaircraft.com/about-di ... demo-tour/
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI