Call for DA42s to BAHAMAS, March 2016

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: mac
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N127US
Airports: KSDL

Call for DA42s to BAHAMAS, March 2016

Post by cavumac »

Have you got a DA42 and interested in coming along? Let's go! I'm a first-timer, so no expert, but I'm reading up like crazy and will launch out of AZ on March 21, 2016. Probably 4-6 nights in the Caribbean Islands. I've been there bare boating and cruising, but now will be the first time flying. Let me know if you would like to join the caravan.
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Re: Call for DA42s to BAHAMAS, March 2016

Post by bcocheran »

Not in a DA42 (although I would love to fly one!), but may seriously be interested in joining you in our Meridian!

Any ideas where all you will be going/staying?
Brad Cocheran (KELK)
N373AM (2005 Diamond DA20)
N951TB (2006 Piper Meridian)
and several others...

Former:
N216DG (G1000) (40.698) - KELK
N108LC (G1000) 2013 SR22T
N835SR (Avidyne) 2006 SR22
cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by cavumac »

Hi Brad,
Sure, love to have you. I'm working the itinerary as I get time over the next couple of weeks. Ideally, we would launch together from FL, proceed together as long as peoples' time permits, but then be able to break-off individually when it becomes time for each of us to return. Cavumac
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

Hello, here is you DA42 member in MYNN/Nassau/Bahamas! Let me throw the party once you're here! Keep me in the loop re dates/airports. If any questions on the crossing or the destination, ask me. Recommend the http://www.pilotpub.com/ Bahamas Flying Guide. My favourite spots are MYAM, MYEN, MYES, MYLS, MYCP. Happy planning!
cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by cavumac »

How kind of you offer your assistance. I appreciate your experience and insightful suggestions. Will definitely keep you posted. Cavumac
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We just returned last Friday from Turks & Caicos Islands (MBGT and MBPV), overflying the entire Bahamas chain of islands non-stop to/from Florida in our DA42. (Wolfgang, we waived hi when overflying Nassau. ;) ) The last 2 winters we flew our DA42 to the Bahamas, so we thought we'd try for a bigger adventure this year -- hence flying all the way to Grand Turks Island (MBGT) for a week's vacation.

Compared to Turks & Caicos, flying to/from the Bahamas is really easy:

Outbound from FL:
1. File EAPIS manifest on the US Customs website and wait for confirmation email to leave the country
2. File ICAO IFR flight plan via Foreflight on your iPad; no need to call anyone.
3. Fly IFR like you normally do within the US (you'll be talking to Miami Center the entire time except when in the vicinity of Nassau, when you'll be handed off to/from Nassau Approach).

Inbound to FL:
1. Same as above, except wait for email confirmation to enter the country
2. Same as above
3. Same as above
4. Call US Customs at your desired airport of entry (AOE) on the phone at least 1 hour prior to your expected arrival to let them know when you plan to arrive.

That's it. You'll have some paperwork to complete and some fees to pay when you first land in the Bahamas, but the folks there will help you through it.

Recommended Florida "launching points" and AOEs to clear US Customs are Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE), and especially Ft. Pierce (KFPR) where US Customs is right next door to the APP Jet Center FBO with cheap JetA for your DA42 and a nice restaurant.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by cavumac »

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions and the encouragement of you having just completed the bigger Turks/Caicos trip. All the best.
cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by cavumac »

cavumac wrote:Hi Brad,
Sure, love to have you. I'm working the itinerary as I get time over the next couple of weeks. Ideally, we would launch together from Ft Pierce FL on March 24th, proceed together as long as peoples' time permits, but then be able to break-off individually when it becomes time for each of us to return. Cavumac
After research I'm finding a lot of limited out island vacancy during this time frame, but some availability (and a cost savings too) for sharing accommodations and didn't know your feelings on the idea. For example, at Spanish Cay the one bedroom condo is $375 (4ppl) per night while the 2 bedroom condo (6ppl) is $475 per night. Let me know your thoughts. The out island itinerary is looking like these stops in no particular order since they are all close: Staniel Cay, Fernandez Bay Village on Cat Island, Stella Maris on Long Island and Pittstown on Crooked Island and considering Spanish Cay on Abacos. These destinations correspond in large part with the kind suggestions of Wolf. No one besides you has shown interest in this trip, but undaunted my wife and I are going. Please let me know if your interest is lessened due to few participants or if conflicts in your schedule develop. Best.
mardav99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Martin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N272DS
Airports: KCDW

Post by mardav99 »

cavumac,

I'm keen on flying to the Bahamas in 2017 with a DA40 XLT. Interested in your experiences if you ended up flying there.

Martin
mardav99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Martin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N272DS
Airports: KCDW

Post by mardav99 »

CFIDave wrote: Recommended Florida "launching points" and AOEs to clear US Customs are Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE), and especially Ft. Pierce (KFPR) where US Customs is right next door to the APP Jet Center FBO with cheap JetA for your DA42 and a nice restaurant.
CFIDave,
KFXE/KFPR don't have "AOE" noted on the VFR charts, but the A/FD says ADCUS is available and Note: See Special Notices - U.S. Special Customs Requirement. I'm assuming they can be used as AOEs based on your comment?

Martin