Udon Thani (Thailand) Fly In, January 2014

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Udon Thani (Thailand) Fly In, January 2014

Post by Kai »

"Udon Thani becomes Thailand's Oshkosh once a year and attracts pilots from all over Asia", so the information of my Thai flying club president ".... and the Minister of Justice, organizer and patron of the event, Gen. Prachaa, requests your attendance, Kai!".

OK, nobody would dare now to say no to such an invitation and I got my DA40 up into the air heading to this Northeastern city near the Lao border. Take-off was in hazy conditions from our VFR airport in near Chiangmai. Fortunately, once climbing over 7000 ft we were over the haze and after a beautiful 2 hr flight we landed in Udon Thani, :
DSCF2370.JPG
Maybe 6 or 7 other DA40s and 3 DA42s flew in, all with Thielert 1.7. The brave pilots were all student pilots who went on their first cross country flights:
DSCF2383.JPG
My plane was thoroughly inspected by the ground crew:
DSCF2386.JPG
Planes receive female attention. :D
DSCF2426.JPG
Pilots receive male attention and a warm welcome :roll: :
DSCF2398.JPG
These ones came in honor of the patrons of this great fly-in:
DSCF2400.JPG
Our hosts sat in their shaded lounge...
DSCF2395.JPG
.... while the pilots were placed in a small pavillion a bit further away from the action. Catering was excellent:
DSCF2431.JPG
With maybe 30 planes which attended in total and 10 private pilots participating, maybe this wasn't quite as big as Oshkosh. But the friendliness and gratitude of our hosts which even gave out free water and bananas to all pilots made up for it.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Udon Thani (Thailand) Fly In, January 2014

Post by Rick »

Sounds like a great time, Kai. My invitation from the General must have been lost in the mail...

I'm afraid if I ever receive that much attention upon landing at an airport, it will only be from CBP agents or the FAA!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:Sounds like a great time, Kai. My invitation from the General must have been lost in the mail...

I'm afraid if I ever receive that much attention upon landing at an airport, it will only be from CBP agents or the FAA!
So bad you couldn't make it this year, Rick! But will make sure to get you an invitation for next year!

Like in your world, the kind of attention we get is diverse and seldom appreciated: DCA (Thai FAA) to ramp check, girls to take pictures of themselves and post it on their FB, student pilots to ask if my plane has a Thielert 1.7 or 2.0, parents to sit their kids on the planes, kids to snatch a pitot tube cover for their key ring.

At another event, the so-called children's day, ramp check was performed by these guys:
20140111_151454.jpg
20140111_151527.jpg
For the entertainment of the kids, they can search or throw some smoke bombs under the plane or just arrest the pilot.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

After some reconsideration, I have decided you don't need to invite me next year! Ha ha...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Rofl! Nice report Kai thank you
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Kai wrote:Maybe 6 or 7 other DA40s and 3 DA42s flew in, all with Thielert 1.7.
Cough, cough - what about that devilishly handsome DA40XL Lycosaur on the ramp?!

Damn - sorry I missed you this time around Kai!!
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Henrik wrote:
Kai wrote:Maybe 6 or 7 other DA40s and 3 DA42s flew in, all with Thielert 1.7.
Cough, cough - what about that devilishly handsome DA40XL Lycosaur on the ramp?!

Damn - sorry I missed you this time around Kai!!
.... you mean this friendly Gentleman and his impressive, shiny and sleek N-registered DA40XL from Sing?
DSCF2394.JPG
Geesh. True. What a nice guy and I am glad I met him although it would have been great if you could have joined, too. Btw, Ed was scheduled to come, too, but preferred to count Dugongs in Krabi. I can't blame him.

Also, we missed each other at Asian Aerospace Services in BKK. My DA40 is there and undergoing some extensive engine overhaul after a load of bad fuel. You must have been there some time before?
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

That's my orange attired friend!
Kai wrote:Also, we missed each other at Asian Aerospace Services in BKK. My DA40 is there and undergoing some extensive engine overhaul after a load of bad fuel. You must have been there some time before?
Actually the DA42 is at AAS right now & I'm picking it up tomorrow morning! Flying back to Singapore "via" Chiang Rai for the weekend.

Now that's eerie. Mine is there for fuel contamination as well. They had to replace my LH engine high pressure fuel pump and clean the entire fuel system. Should be fine now, but I guess we really need to be on our toes w/fuel in Asia. (Jet A as well as av/mogas)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Henrik,

when you go there tomorrow, say Hello to HS-KAI, please. I really miss her an and hope she will be fine soon again. Fuel poisoning is really quite an issue in Asia.

I am in Germany and Spain these days, not sure yet when I am coming back. But let's catch up next time and hopefully before the rainy season.
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Kai wrote:when you go there tomorrow, say Hello to HS-KAI, please.
Done! She looked good & they're taking nice care of her. They were just putting the wings back on when I left, so I think you're good.
Kai wrote:But let's catch up next time and hopefully before the rainy season.
Drinks are on me!

In fact, we should also try convincing Robin to fly up to Thailand & say hello. (say, weren't he looking at a DA42 as well? - good choice for an Oz-Asia trip)