Transiting NYC airspace

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

AV8NC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Transiting NYC airspace

Post by AV8NC »

I would like to fly from KFAY in NC to KGHG near Boston, MA in a DA40. As I look at possible flight plans my preference would be to fly up the coast and then cross Long Island and up to the Boston area. I'm wondering if any of you out there have experience trying to cross the heavy NJ-NYC area while flying VFR with flight following. Is it reasonable to think I can fly this route VFR or are they going to try to route me way west? Am I likely to have my flight following cancelled and have the controller tell me to proceed at my own risk? Or, would this work like I want?

Appreciate any thoughts from the group.
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Re: Transiting NYC airspace

Post by Steven »

If you have never done it, I would recommend taking the Hudson River Exclusion. It's a lot of fun, and a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan.
Eric N
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Registration: N192DS
Airports: KGON

Post by Eric N »

If you're on an IFR plan, try V1 or V16 to CYN, then V16 to JFK, V229 to BDR, V475 to PVD, then you could likely get direct GHG. We usually never get higher than 7000 (and sometimes less, depending on traffic at JFK). Even VFR, they'd rather have you over the airport at altitude, but clearance into the Bravo airspace is never a sure thing. NY Approach will sometimes refuse even to talk to you to request a VFR code if they're busy; other times they are perfectly accommodating. We always do this IFR, if for no other reason than they can't refuse to talk to you or separate you from other traffic. It's a wonderful sightseeing trip if weather permits.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Just like Eric, I have always been IFR around NY airspace, and more often than not I get re-routed from my original clearance when I get there. Don't forget, though - the TOP of the NY Class B is only 7,000'! So VFR at 7,500' you can fly right over the top of all the Class B airspace without any permission from anybody!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Eric N
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Registration: N192DS
Airports: KGON

Post by Eric N »

Rick is right, of course, about the upper limit of the NY Class B, but it's a very busy place and everyone is bigger and faster than you, so I would at want a controller looking out for me on flight following, at least. None of this should discourage you from doing it, let me also say, nor was I intending to malign the busy controllers.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Very true, Eric. And I didn't mean to imply that overflying NYC without talking to anyone was a smart thing to do - just that it was possible! VFR flight following over the top of the Class B might be easier to get then a clearance through Bravo airspace, if they are busy. Chances are they won't turn you down for FF, since they are better off knowing who you are and being able to talk to you, instead of having some unknown target getting in the way.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
RONNIE
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ronnie
Airports:

Post by RONNIE »

If your intentions are to fly VFR:
6500 with FF
Go north direct to (all vor's) COL, JFK, BDR, direct to your destination. Request bravo clearance at that altitude.