Cross Tasman Trips

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

markk
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: markk
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: VHYKB
Airports: YSBK

Cross Tasman Trips

Post by markk »

In January and April 2010 VH-DIV a DA40 XLS made the crossing from Sydney to New Zealand and back twice.

Each trip involved 3 legs. Camden (Sydney) to Lord Howe Island, then on to Norfolk Island. From Norfolk the first trip went direct to Auckland in Janaury and the second trip went to Keri Keri around 100nm closer to Norfolk. I did the January trip and Steve the other owner of DIV did the April trip.

I would be interested in comments from DA40 pilots on the longest leg flown without ferry tanks but with the 50 gallon tanks? I'm thinking of going back to Norfolk and then north to the South Pacific islands but without ferry tanks it will require good weather and good planning but appears doable.

The trip from Norfolk to Auckland was 589nm and took 5.6 hours (VDO) against a strong head wind most of the way. Mostly flying at 9,500 feet. Landed with 9 US gallons in the tanks.

All up it was great fun and never boring. If anyone is thinking of doing the trip I have a lot of trip notes I can forward or go to www.schofields-flying-club.com.au and view their August and October Newsletters for more info.

Cheers

Mark
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Re: Cross Tasman Trips

Post by Joey »

My longest was from Alberquerque NM (KABQ) to West Plains Missouri (KUNO) with light tail winds and a gorgeous VFR day. 725 nm direct, 5+45 enroute, 6 gallons left in the tank, and a bathroom at the end of the flight! I went out from the east coast to the west coast and back in 4 days and checked off one of those items in the "bucket list". I would not have gone that far if the weather was not perfect. The fuel consumed/remaining indicator was very accurate as well as the range rings and fuel indicators (and backed up by other planning). We also have the long range tanks. That was the first leg of three that day and we ended up in Newport News VA at about 9:00pm. It definately satisfied the flying lust for a while.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Mark,

thanks for the information. It would be nice if you could upload the trip data to our reports section and give us the link. I just love seeing trips in other parts of the world :). Also, feel free to post the trip reports from www.schofields-flying-club.com.au here, too, if you would like to do that.

My longest leg with a 40G tank was of 720 nms, landing with nearly 0 fuel. See http://www.diamondaviators.net/reports/flights/127, longest leg with ferry tanks 1400 nms, approximately. No AP but a capable co-pilot, btw.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Kai wrote: My longest leg with a 40G tank was of 720 nms, landing with nearly 0 fuel. See http://www.diamondaviators.net/reports/flights/127
Kai,
I was wondering how much fuel remainded in your tanks after that leg. The report shows 111,44 G used. I can figure that there was not much left from the 40G.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Jean wrote: Kai,
I was wondering how much fuel remainded in your tanks after that leg. The report shows 111,44 G used. I can figure that there was not much left from the 40G.
Yep, the fuel flow meter didn't work and as you might have seen the average fuel flow indicated was of 20 g/h, which is also bit impossible. I landed after searching for a field which provided fuel on a sunday and a forced go-around after a runway incursion with nearly nothing, maybe a gallon. My gf didn't like it at all while I hoped to practice Lance's instructions on running a tank dry :D
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)