3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

First Aircraft and Post

Post by gordsh »

Hello Everyone,

I am making my first post to introduce myself. I am a student pilot located in Burlington, Ontario and I recently purchased and imported a 2010 DA40 XLS Premiere Edition. I don’t want to come across as bashing the Cessna 172 but once I started flight training in a 172 and completed a handful of hours I had a calling for completing my training in a more modern aircraft. I did quite a bit of research, visited the factory in London, and decided that I had to complete my training in a Diamond aircraft.

After much searching for a used DA40 in Canada, I quickly realized that I could purchase one from the USA for a better price than I could here in Canada which was a bit disappointing as the DA40s are made here in Canada. With some expert guidance on the Canadian side, I was pointed in the direction of 3 USA Diamond dealers. All 3 dealers had very clean, low hour DA40’s ranging from model years 2008 to 2012 which was my target model year range. All 3 dealers were extremely helpful, professional and truly love the Diamond line of airplane. The dealer I ended up purchasing from was however the only one that was willing to fly the airplane to Canada, allow me and my mechanic to inspect the plane and then purchase the plane if my mechanic gave a thumbs up. I know, that’s sounds like a dream come true but yes, this is exactly how it happened and I was even invited to fly to the USA and accompany the pilot on ferrying the plane to Canada. I promptly purchased a one way ticket to Texas and had an awesome 8 hour experience from Galaxy FBO (CXO) to XU-Aviation (CYXU).

I used XU-Aviation in London who I also contracted to do the entire import processing and I am happy to say all went well. This was quite an adventure for me and by the time we landed at CYXU I was quite sure this was going to be my airplane. Terry who piloted the plane was IFR rated and so I experienced what it was to fly through the clouds and a bit of weather.

As mentioned above I am a student pilot, I have little to no experience with the DA40 but I look forward to all your guidance and feedback as I progress through my PPL and learn more about this aircraft.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: First Aircraft and Post

Post by Colin »

Welcome, Shawn. It's an amazing machine. I had 1,600 hours on our DA40 by the time we traded it in for our DA42.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Welcome Shawn. You will love this plane and this place. Many friendly people here willing to help and answer your questions. Be safe and enjoy.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Congrats on your new purchase. Back in 2002, I too was a student pilot with 10 hours of training in a C-172 when I purchased my first new DA-40. Four DA-40's later, I still love the plane. You made a good choice. Fly safe.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Congrats! Compared to the C172, you definitely made the right choice! Now you'll get to learn how to fly an airplane and how to own an airplane at the same time. They should give you two ceritficates for that.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

I got my PPL in a 172 three years ago, felt the same about what I wanted to buy, more modern/up to date. I was surprised to find that my best option was being built so close to where I live. I went for a flight in one and my wife fell in love with it and insisted that was the only plane to buy, so I did. I bought my 2006 xls in Feb 2016 privately. I have logged over 250hrs in it and love the aircraft. got my IFR rating in June. I cant imagine what I would enjoy better, other than the 50 if it ever arrives, the 42 or the 62 if I can ever afford it.
I hope that your experience is the same and get to enjoy it as much as my wife and I do.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Congratulations Shawn and welcome to DAN. I really enjoy reading stories like yours. I got my Private in 2005 and flew a few different aircraft until I discovered Diamond. Even though you hear us wish for a feature or complain a little about a squawk, I could not be happier with Diamond’s engineering and manufacturing quality. I picked my DA40 up at the London factory and flew 13 hours back to my home in the northwest, stopping only for fuel and a stretch. It was my longest night flight and the only one over unfamiliar territory and a bit of Wx.

As a newcomer to the DA40-XLS, I would share only one caution in the interest of your having a long and satisfying adventure in aviation. The DA40-XLS is a forgiving aircraft in slow flight. A poorly coordinated turn to final that might not even set off the stall warning in your XLS might be your last turn in other popular GA aircraft, old and new. Even though the XLS does not demand good stick and rudder skills, it is worth flying the aircraft as if it did. That way, you will be safe flying a wide range of aircraft in the GA fleet.
Charbie
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charbel
Aircraft Registration: GLXL
Airports: CZBA

Post by Charbie »

Congratulations again Shawn. Will meet up soon at Czba.
2007 DA40 XL , CZBA, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Congratulations Shawn!! John
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Don, I’m curious so forgive me if this is too personal: why did you buy 4 DA40’s?