5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: New Ownership

Post by Colin »

I have never talked to an engineer who was not in awe of German engineering. Swiss manufacturing of complex things like watches, French cuisine, British empire-building... and German engineering.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Well, as a Canadian aerospace engineer working in the industry, I can't just let that pass. :tap: The Germans make fine cars and machine tools, granted. Canadians use those tools to make great airplanes. To name a few: CSeries, Q400, CRJ, Global Express, etc. In fact Canada is home to the 3rd largest aircraft manufacturer after Airbus and Boeing: Bombardier.

There is also one piece of aviation engineering that Canadians do very well and which requires Swiss watch type mechanical precision, space age materials, exotic structural dynamics, and extensive aerodynamics modelling in both supersonic and subsonic flows, and which the Germans can't do on their own, let alone the Austrians, and that's jet engines. The PT6, PW800, etc. are all designed and built in Canada. APUs for the A380, B787, B747, etc., are also designed in Canada. http://www.pwc.ca

I could go on, with Heroux-Devtek and Messier-Dowty landing gears, Bell Helicopters, Esterline avionics, CAE full motion flight simulators, the space shuttle and space station robotic systems, etc.

Diamond will have no difficulty finding world class aerospace engineering talent in Canada, I assure you. ;)
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

Speaking of this, Diamond has a full-page job ad in this month's issue of COPA Flight, the magazine of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association:

ihfanjv
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: None
Airports:

Post by ihfanjv »

Is there any word on what was purchased, exactly?

Is Diamond North America now a licensed production company for Diamond Austria aircraft? Are they now entirely different companies that will branch off and develop separate products? It seems like a very strange spinoff considering it appears that both entities will continue to make the same products.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

They won't be making the same products. Canada will make all DA20s, DA40s, and DA62s. Austria will make DA42s and continues to develop new models e.g. DA50-JP7.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ihfanjv
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: None
Airports:

Post by ihfanjv »

CFIDave wrote:They won't be making the same products. Canada will make all DA20s, DA40s, and DA62s. Austria will make DA40s and continues to develop new models e.g. DA50-JP7.
Who will be making DA40s vs DA42s? Diamond Austria retians ownership of Austro? Very strange deal...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Sorry I mistyped: Austria will continue to make all DA42s; all DA40s (Lycoming and Austro-powered) will be made in Canada.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

ihfanjv wrote:Is there any word on what was purchased, exactly?

Is Diamond North America now a licensed production company for Diamond Austria aircraft? Are they now entirely different companies that will branch off and develop separate products? It seems like a very strange spinoff considering it appears that both entities will continue to make the same products.
As far as I understand, they are now separate companies with distinct product lines that will evolve independently, and each owns their respective type certificates so no licensing involved.