5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Advertising

Post by Kai »

DAN is not only a great resource for all of us who already own a Diamond but is also visited by all pilots who are in the market for buying one. Advertising a Diamond on our site is definitely the most promising way of reaching potential buyers. So if you have your Diamond up for sale, it is now possible to list it on our homepage.

Until I get our marketplace or shop script working you can get a premium advertisement on the homepage, a popup (which only pop up once for each logged in user) and a redirect to your listing. There are only 3 more slots available. At the beginning and as a limited time offer, the deal is that you can have the advertisement until the plane is sold or up to 6 months for $100.

Free advertising for 3-Diamond members in the forum category "advertising" as well as other rules on advertising will not be changed for right now.

PM me or use the contact form of this page.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: Advertising

Post by smoss »

Kai, the pop-up/flyover ad is REALLY annoying. Surely you can come up with a more palatable ad style.
Steve
DA40 XL
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Just an idea. Set up a function that members can opt out of the pop-up advertising for a fee.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

@ smoss and Lance Murray, I am sorry for the pop up and that it annoys you. It was not my intention and I hate pop ups myself. It should only pop up once and then it should be saved in a cookie remembering that you have seen the advertisement.

Do you allow cookies of DAN? It really should be clicked once and you will never see it again.

Lance, I thought about the membership option. It will be my second choice if advertising does not bring in enough to pay for the costs. I have a plan to do that but want to develop a mobile version or an app of the reports-function which will allow instant uploads from the plane with an external card reader. This and some other goodies on the site might then be part of a premium package.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

It pops up sporadically when I go to DAN via a bookmark, not always, but more than just the initial once. I do allow cookies, but use Avast antivirus and have tracking systems blocked. Perhaps that is messing it up.
Steve
DA40 XL
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Thank you, Steve, for reporting back. DAN has no tracking systems except for whatever the forum software needs to stay functional. I will move the ad into a separate directory so you can train your popup- or spam blocker to block all files from that directory.
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Kai, First, let me extend my gratitude to you for hosting these forums. You're shepherding a great resource and community - everyone here is amazing.

Now, honestly, I'd rather see a yearly donation drive to cover costs ala vansairforce forums than tacky advertising. DR's funding drive does come off a little end-of-year PBS-ish, but it seems to do what it needs to do. (Also, javascript popups are the latest scourge of the internet and should be burned in a fire.)

On a separate note, I think a few members have also volunteered to host if you're looking to defer those costs. It's not high traffic and the resources required should(?) be minimal. (Something I could also do as I already have the infrastructure in place for other things, not that you should really trust any of us from the guy next door. 8) )
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

DavidS, thanks for letting me know.

The advertising was planned a long time ago but I didn't find the time to finish it until these 5 days of holiday gave me the time and tranquillity needed to focus on it. You might have seen that the forum activity has increased dramatically these days probably because of the long holidays. So I am not the only one dedicating more time on DAN and the advertising has nothing to do with end-of-year BS. It is just a coincidence.

The cost of hosting is minimal since we switched to a virtual server last summer. I don't mind paying for it. But there are scripts running on this forum which need maintenance and they are complicated. I frankly have no clue how the reports-section works or how to adjust it when we people will start to upload DA62 log files. This is being done by two external programmers and they need to get paid.

Also, hosting a forum with 2000 email addresses and other personal information on a server which I don't control, scares me.

I agree on the tackiness of popups. But I thought it was well taken care of if it pops up only once. I might be wrong there and I don't mind deleting the script if there is no acceptance.

The donations brought in enough funds to pay for everything only in the time when I threw in 40 window latches as a fund raiser. I did that for fun but if that's the only way to raise enough funds it suddenly becomes work to produce and ship them.

On the other hand there are a lot of members who wish to advertise here and I hate seeing it on the forum itself. So my first idea was setting up a marketplace but the script I bought is crap.

Now the other way would be charging an annual membership fee. But that would take us right to the beginnings of the forum which I set up to offer a free resource for Diamond pilots. And the membership fee would contradict my initial intentions. I might revise that though.

Thanks again for your ideas and thoughts. I rely on the feedback and any of it is welcome.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I don't think advertising is tacky. Sticky maybe, but definitely not tacky.
In all seriousness, advertising does provide the forum user information of products and services they might not
otherwise be aware of. Everybody benefits.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Thanks, Tommy! I believe that previous posters were pointing more towards the tackiness of an annoying pop up but I cannot imagine someone could think that advertising of aircraft on an aircraft website is tacky.

As said before, the popup should pop up only once.