5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: IMPORTANT: Updates and Upgrades of DAN

Post by TimS »

Kai,

Any chance you are going to link to "Active Topics" and the Forum list on the home page?

Tim
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Hello,

Thanks for all the input and please excuse I was a bit quiet in the last days. Regarding Tapatalk, there were numerous issues:

1) it caused login issues to non-Tapatalk users
2) it had nag screens for mobile users
3) it had severe security breaches in the past transmitting user login and password unencrypted and caused havoc here. I´d better spare out the details.
4) it constantly needed updates, at least once a month which were difficult to install and which interfered with our mods which then had to be adapted or its functionality revised
5) only a few people here used it, as little as 15 in a month making up less than 2 percent of the traffic. My time and capacity is limitted and I feel I can do more working on issues which affect a wider audience
6) its main advantage, namely making this forum more accessible and easier to navigate with mobile devices is not necessary anymore as our page is now fully responsive, including forum and gallery
7) ̶i̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶u̶̶c̶̶k̶̶e̶̶d̶

I am aware that the homepage is a bit slow now as we load an extensive preview of the gallery as well as the reports each time it gets accessed. I have an idea on how to improve this dramatically but it will need more scripting.

TimS, I will improve navigation but still need to design a navigation bar. The designer of this new site gave up already a few weeks ago, so I need to do it myself and then you will have a lot of the forum features, including "active topics" on a drop down list under "Forum".

As things go, I also had to take care of my real estate in Germany these days and was not able to work on this site. Next week I will be back in laid back Thailand and as my Thai validation of my license was not renewed until now, I will not be able to fly and can then work here again.

̶i̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶w̶̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶f̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶a̶̶c̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶"̶n̶̶e̶̶w̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶p̶̶i̶̶c̶̶s̶"̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶"̶u̶̶n̶̶r̶̶e̶̶a̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶s̶"̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶o̶̶r̶̶k̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶h̶̶i̶̶l̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶i̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶o̶̶o̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶i̶̶l̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶s̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶d̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶o̶̶o̶̶k̶̶.̶
EDIT: Fixed.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Edit:
Is anyone getting e-mail notifications of PMs? Is there a setting that got reset on the user side we need to set again or is something else amiss?
Looks like all of my preferences got reset. I just re-checked everything and will see if this fixes that glitch.

ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

David, I checked mine and it is all still good. Also, I did not change the default notification settings.
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Kai wrote:David, I checked mine and it is all still good. Also, I did not change the default notification settings.
Thanks Kai. Everything looks good after I checked those boxes again. Not sure what unchecked them, but hopefully anyone else that has the same problem can have such a quick and easy resolution.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Kai,
I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. I don't seem to be getting email notifications of topics that I am subscribed to. I looked at my profile to make sure that I am subscribed to topics to which I have commented, and that seems correct. I made sure that my email address is correct, and it is. I have checked my junk mail folder and my spam folder and there is nothing there. This all seemed to happen when you moved to the new forum. Have I missed doing something?
Thanks,
Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

It looks like I found the problem :( One has to go to "Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit notification options" and check the appropriate "email" options to on. I am now getting email notifications.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Cary, the email notification options are far better than on the previous version of phpBB but sometimes they seem to disconfigure themselves. Not sure what triggers them