Bug removal

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Bug removal

Post by Gary »

Does anybody have a recommendation of what to use for bug removal? I have been collecting a lot of them recently. I apply Klasse polish at the beginning of the flying season and this seems to make bug removal easier but I would like to know what product seems to give the best results to clean them off.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Bug removal

Post by Chris »

Gary wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation of what to use for bug removal? I have been collecting a lot of them recently. I apply Klasse polish at the beginning of the flying season and this seems to make bug removal easier but I would like to know what product seems to give the best results to clean them off.
We use "That Bug Stuff" and it works great. Spray it on all of the bug splatters and wait a minute or so. A very light wipe with a scouring sponge followed by a dry cloth takes everything off without any work. I think it's just a typical glass cleaning formula.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

We just use plain water with a "magic" sponge ! We buy them at the airfield. I don't remember the brand, I will check next time I'll go fly and report.
They are grey or white, soft and are fitted for cleaning outdoor plastics (like garden chairs).
We usually try to clean her each time we come back to the hangar. It only takes a few minutes.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hello

I have Bug Blaster, as Chris said a spray, let soak for 2 to 4 minutes, then simply wipe off. See www.micro-surface.com

Cheers

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Robin wrote:Hello

I have Bug Blaster, as Chris said a spray, let soak for 2 to 4 minutes, then simply wipe off. See www.micro-surface.com

Cheers

Robin
I was unaware that they sold bug removal stuff. I have used the Micro-Surface Maintenance kit to polish my canopy. It worked well. They also make kits to remove scratches from the canopy.

http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main ... th=273_188
BobM
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: BobM
Aircraft Registration: N417TS
Airports: KAFO

Post by BobM »

Lemon Pledge works good and is cheap, take about 10 minutes after every flight spray it on wipe it off and it will build up a polished layer on the surface that makes it easier each time you use it.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

BobM wrote:Lemon Pledge works good and is cheap, take about 10 minutes after every flight spray it on wipe it off and it will build up a polished layer on the surface that makes it easier each time you use it.
The issue with non-aviation products is that you must make sure they do not contain silicon. Sounds promising, will check the ingredient list.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Gary wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation of what to use for bug removal? I have been collecting a lot of them recently. I apply Klasse polish at the beginning of the flying season and this seems to make bug removale easier but I would like to know what product seems to give the best results to clean them off.
Gary, a micro fiber cloth and a bucket of water. Get the cloth wet, wring it out so its not dripping wet and wipe away the bugs. It's incredible how well it works for me. I think it has something to do with the microfiber. All I know is that it is simple and works extremely well. Just like the movie, "wipe on, wipe off."
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Tommy wrote:
Gary wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation of what to use for bug removal? I have been collecting a lot of them recently. I apply Klasse polish at the beginning of the flying season and this seems to make bug removale easier but I would like to know what product seems to give the best results to clean them off.
Gary, a micro fiber cloth and a bucket of water. Get the cloth wet, wring it out so its not dripping wet and wipe away the bugs. It's incredible how well it works for me. I think it has something to do with the microfiber. All I know is that it is simple and works extremely well. Just like the movie, "wipe on, wipe off."
I have tried this and it requires too much scrubbing. I might try cheesecloth and water followed by microfiber.
Andrew
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andrew
Airports:

Post by Andrew »

Cillit Bang is amazing, it literally melts the bugs , after 4 years has had no issues on my DA40. Tip given to me from a tiger moth pilot.... ( I think there is a joke there somewhere but true ! )