DA-42 in-flight engine failure

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

SamoL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Samo
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: OEFVG
Airports:

Re: DA-42 in-flight engine failure

Post by SamoL »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:32 pm
SamoL wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:39 am Update 12th Oct 2023
New left engine has been ordered.
Post failure, was the oil analyzed?
I don't know if oil sample was even taken for the left engine. For the right engine: there were larger parts of gears in the oil. So I don't think they have even bothered with sending back the results.
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Post by YokotaFTC »

WOW this is eye opening....especially as we just received the first 2 of 3 DA40NGs, (and a 42 late next year). Both were test flown in Jul then disassembled for shipping in Aug. Any suggestion on what documentation (if any) we need to scrub regarding this issue?
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

YokotaFTC wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:44 am WOW this is eye opening....especially as we just received the first 2 of 3 DA40NGs, (and a 42 late next year). Both were test flown in Jul then disassembled for shipping in Aug. Any suggestion on what documentation (if any) we need to scrub regarding this issue?
Don’t know how you could miss all the issues with Austro engines. Check out the Austro section of this forum for some additional information.
SamoL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by SamoL »

YokotaFTC wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:44 am WOW this is eye opening....especially as we just received the first 2 of 3 DA40NGs, (and a 42 late next year). Both were test flown in Jul then disassembled for shipping in Aug. Any suggestion on what documentation (if any) we need to scrub regarding this issue?
Theoretically there is no new problem with Austroengines and there is no AD note regarding this issue, so I don't know how many engines are affected. In my case - both. The second replacement engine was manufactured and should be installed next week. But I don't know how confident I can be with these two new engines, as I don't know why should they be any different from the first two that were originally installed. Will follow up with updates as it gets installed and later on when I will finally be able to fly my aircraft.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Did you check whether your HP pumps were covered with existing AD?
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Post by YokotaFTC »

krellis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:57 pm
Don’t know how you could miss all the issues with Austro engines. Check out the Austro section of this forum for some additional information.
THANKS, we've (maint team) been intently looking through a pile of docs recently. After 12 years of Cessna 172s, this diamond maint manuals has been quite challenging to learn, the format the maintenance documentation/manuals etc. thus far has been quite the challenge.
SamoL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by SamoL »

Update 20 Nov 2023: The second engine was changed a week ago and I was finally able to fly it this weekend. Looks like some smaller things will need to be polished for the aircraft to be bug free (hopefully). I was not able to use it for about 3 months, Diamond promised me 6 months of warranty extension.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

SamoL wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:56 pm I was not able to use it for about 3 months, Diamond promised me 6 months of warranty extension.
I would ask resetting warranty and extending it back to one year.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ememic99 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:36 pm
SamoL wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:56 pm I was not able to use it for about 3 months, Diamond promised me 6 months of warranty extension.
I would ask resetting warranty and extending it back to one year.
You continued to pay insurance, hangar, maybe interest, etc. while you were AOG. Presumably you also had some travel and lodging expenses since you had to land away from home. Since it's during the warranty period I think they owe you much more.
sono
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: GCTCF
Airports: EGLK

Post by sono »

Glad all is well. Early life failure.. replace with new parts and enjoy