5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Brilliant Idea

Post by Colin »

Okay, whose is this? Parked in Santa Barbara, KSBA, at Atlantic.

The vinyl keeps the black of the glare shield from heating up. Cooler inside, probably less reflection on the interior. Very slick looking with the design and pattern.
Attachments
IMG_5144.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Brilliant Idea

Post by Chris B »

Colin wrote:Okay, whose is this? Parked in Santa Barbara, KSBA, at Atlantic.
Hi Colin -

I don't know if he is on DAN, but a quick search reveals that the aircraft is owned by Jean-Marc Gilson from Santa Barbara. The search actually reveals considerably more detail, which is quite sobering. :shock:

Something like this would certainly be cooler. Though I wonder if it would obscure part of the view for taller pilots.

Chris
ihfanjv
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: None
Airports:

Post by ihfanjv »

I think that this kind of arrangement could replace the glareshield altogether. I have always thought that the glareshield is the second most dangerous thing in the DA40 - the overly sharp bottom edge of the panel being the most dangerous thing. The way the glareshield juts out always left me with the impression that it could cause injury in an accident.

Can you legally fly a DA40 with the glareshield removed, or trimmed to that it does not extend past the panel?
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Seems like might be a nice touch, but I'd be worried what would happen to the acrylic underneath after the adhesive bakes in the sun. Might be a very permanent installation!
Steve
DA40 XL
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

ihfanjv wrote:I think that this kind of arrangement could replace the glareshield altogether. I have always thought that the glareshield is the second most dangerous thing in the DA40 - the overly sharp bottom edge of the panel being the most dangerous thing. The way the glareshield juts out always left me with the impression that it could cause injury in an accident.

Can you legally fly a DA40 with the glareshield removed, or trimmed to that it does not extend past the panel?
In order to be legal the plane has to be 100% conforming to the type certificate. I do not believe the TC foresees that the glare shield be removed. The funny part is that it is legal to remove the wheel fairings... go figure...
Now you can probably get someone to sign it off, just as the people who had theirs leather clad.

I have removed the glare shield and a friend has too.
I still scratch my head and wonder what the purpose of this part is. I now have significantly less obstruction on the right side and more room in the cockpit.
The only issue that arose was that the instrument panel cover below the glare shield turned out to be slightly reflective - very annoying and even downright dangerous when landing westbound at sunset.
I sprayed this with a high temperature matt black and it is fixed (issue to be kept in mind when ordering the leather interior upgrade)

Back to the original topic. Beautiful plane and nice workmanship, that's for sure. Legal? Hmmm...
I would still want a textile cover on top though, in order to avoid UVs attacking the clear canopy material.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Antoine,

How much of a difference in instrument visibility have you seen under unfavorable sun angles?
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I have had the glareshield off my plane for the past 5 years for the following reasons:

1. I have a vertically challenged pilot wife and she gets more straight out visibility with it removed.
2. I think it is a dangerous obstruction waiting to do body harm in the event of an off field landing scenario.
3. It is much easier to clean the inside of lower canopy.

I have never once encountered a direct sunlight situation where the screens were even slightly difficult to read.
I have often thought why it was put there in the first place.

Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Don, with the glare shield removed, aren't you then directly heating up all the avionics when the sun shines on the panel cover? Considering how hot my glare shield gets, I'd imagine without it all the goodies back there get significantly hotter--not sure that's so good in the long run.
Steve
DA40 XL
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

smoss wrote:Don, with the glare shield removed, aren't you then directly heating up all the avionics when the sun shines on the panel cover?
I was wondering about that but if the glare shield is not required to be legal, there are other ways to isolate the avionics from the added heat from the sun.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

rwtucker wrote:Antoine,

How much of a difference in instrument visibility have you seen under unfavorable sun angles?
robert: same as Don, zero problem.
The point about heating up the instruments is absolutely valid in my opinion. i am counting on the fans to deal with the additional heat.
But the benefit of more visibility is major, and I am not a small pilot...