Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: My first annual

Post by Lance Murray »

Gorilla Glue? Throw that stuff away. It expands when drying and makes an awful mess. Use non-flammable contact cement.

I use a torque wrench on the filter just to make life easier. It is made for the task by Tempo I believe. I also use a torque wrench on the plugs 100 percent of the time. 430 inch pounds comes to mind. Use a magnetic socket to prevent dropping the plugs. If you drop them you MUST toss them into the trash.

My plane had a oil filter flange crack due to an experienced A&P OVERTIGHTENING the filter. I now never let an A&P touch my plane without adult supervision or an extremely thorough inspection of his work.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Lance Murray wrote:Use a magnetic socket to prevent dropping the plugs. If you drop them you MUST toss them into the trash. My plane had a oil filter flange crack due to an experienced A&P OVERTIGHTENING the filter. I now never let an A&P touch my plane without adult supervision or an extremely thorough inspection of his work.
Agree on both. I will not let an A&P change my oil. I had to destroy the filter the first time i changed oil after purchasing my Dakota. It was not only over-torqued but put on dry w/o silicone. On my first DA40 annual, I barely caught one of my fine wires that the A&P let slip through his hands. Clean your own plugs. If you have fine wires, don't let your A&P blast them "clean." A quick puff is probably OK but if you have deposits, remove them carefully by hand.

I would like to see a regression study on the proximity of mechanical failures to inspections. Maybe my situation is unique but every mechanical problem I have had arose either during the inspection (breaking something while checking something else) or shortly thereafter.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Like anything else (doctors, pilots, ect.) there are good ones, bad ones, and everything in between. My A&P/IA is very good. He works for American Airlines at night, and has his own business in the AMs. He has caught a few things I've missed over the years, I've never caught anything he missed (and I'm at least the "O" of "OCD").

We are just finishing up my annual. The airplane is back together, just needs the paperwork finished now. I missed flying the past month, although it is hot as Hades in TX right now. Planning on the PCMF early in the am...

Steve
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Steve wrote:My A&P/IA is very good. . . He has caught a few things I've missed over the years, I've never caught anything he missed (and I'm at least the "O" of "OCD").
Your guy want to travel? :D

Seriously, I learn a lot from my A&P and IA but mine is the only DA40 in their experience and I find I am coaching them, many times based on what I learn as a member of DAN. I'm at least the 'O' as well and I don't think mechanics working on OPPs are as obsessive as I am about making sure everything is right and triple-checked.
Last edited by rwtucker on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

Charles wrote:Any update on the Gorilla glue?
The caution about Gorilla glue being messy is true, but if you anticipate it and go sparingly, it works well. And they have white and clear versions now which largely make up for any messiness.

My panels are holding much better. I glued new Velcro strips to both the plane and the panels, then stick the panels on once cured.

A good contact adhesive is probably better and easier to work with, but I went with what they had at the hardware store near my airport, and it worked well. I'll try to snap some pics when I'm at the airport next; I think I have "before" pics in my appraisal report.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We've all heard the adage that "the first flight after an annual inspection is the riskiest flight you'll ever make," due to the aircraft not being put back together properly.

With our DA40 I used to have the time to participate in owner-assisted annual inspections, so I felt reasonably confident that things were all put back together properly. It's also a wonderful way to get to know your airplane.

But with the more-complex DA42, annuals take a lot longer and I'm not there for most of the inspection.

So my solution to minimize risk is to tell the lead tech/inspector that he will be flying with me on the first "return to service" flight after the annual inspection. This not only forces the inspector to have "skin in the game" since he's risking his own neck, it's also a great way to build good-will with the local A&Ps, who rarely get to fly in the planes they work on. I've now done this after each of my DA42 annual inspections.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Gearle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: Private
Airports: KDWH

Post by Gearle »

CFIDave wrote:We've all heard the adage that "the first flight after an annual inspection is the riskiest flight you'll ever make," due to the aircraft not being put back together properly.

With our DA40 I used to have the time to participate in owner-assisted annual inspections, so I felt reasonably confident that things were all put back together properly. It's also a wonderful way to get to know your airplane.

But with the more-complex DA42, annuals take a lot longer and I'm not there for most of the inspection.

So my solution to minimize risk is to tell the lead tech/inspector that he will be flying with me on the first "return to service" flight after the annual inspection. This not only forces the inspector to have "skin in the game" since he's risking his own neck, it's also a great way to build good-will with the local A&Ps, who rarely get to fly in the planes they work on. I've now done this after each of my DA42 annual inspections.
Really, this is the best advice yet.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I, too, have taken my A&P/IA up after a major repair or annual. I have also taken him up to show him a discrepancy. Often, seeing the discrepancy happen in real life provides much more information than trying to describe it after the fact. Even with our computerized planes with computer downloads doesn't always provide the full information needed to correct a problem.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com