3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DS
Airports: KFLD

Help needed with auxiliary radio!

Post by Bob C »

I've been member of the USCG Auxiliary for a few years and recently started flying my plane in the program. We are supplied portable radios much like police radios that use the mic/speaker up toward your ear. Works great in a car, but not in a plane. So, they have come up with a cord that goes from the small mic input on the speaker to a headset microphone jack. This, in effect, disables the speaker in the portable speaker/mic combo and allows you to hear the transmissions through every headset in the plane. It works great in every other local Auxiliary aircraft, EXCEPT my 2006 DA40. This includes older planes up to a newer Cirrus. The jack that plugs into the plane is not a military style plug. The plug looks exactly like the plug on one of my David Clarks. All of my headset plug-ins work with headsets, but none work with this radio.

We have been trying all kinds of things. I called Premier at KFXE and Manny and I went through my configuration over the phone and everything seems to be set properly.

So there is a 2005 DA40 on the field and yesterday after our mission, he was kind enough to let us test the radio in his plane and you cannot hear the transmissions through s headset in his plane either.

So we are pretty confident it has to be some configuration or special way the Diamond is wired.

Some ideas that have been floated are a grounding incompatibility, different impedance, or some issue with a stereo jack.

Any other ideas?????

Thanks!
Bob C.
2006 DA40
KFLD Wisconsin
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Help needed with auxiliary radio!

Post by Rich »

I assume it has two plugs? One for mic and the other for speaker?

You might try fiddling with the intercom squelch for the one you're using for input. Also check the isolation in the audio panel and make sure you don't have your input set isolated out.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RC7
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ben
Aircraft Registration: TOO MANY TO LIST
Airports: KROA

Post by RC7 »

I'm not sure what the issue is with it, but does your airplane have an AUX input? If so, you could try getting a 3.5mm adapter and plugging it into the AUX port.
ATP, CFII, MEI
DA20, DA40, DA42, CL-65
Bob C
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N633DS
Airports: KFLD

Post by Bob C »

I am going to try inputting into the 1/8" music input with an adapter. One of my Coast Guard Auxiliary friends is pretty confident it is a "floating ground" issue. We are going to test that theory tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Bob C.
2006 DA40
KFLD Wisconsin