5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

1000 hr inspection tips

Post by Chris B »

Having recently completed the 1000 hour inspection, here are a few comments and tips, plus a link to the DA40 Bonding Test Kit instructions on Google Drive: DA40 Bonding Test Kit instructions (pdf)

Comments

This inspection is a giant PITA, exacerbated by inexplicable errors in a poorly written section of the DA40 AMM. Unless your aircraft is amazingly pristine, plan to spend at least one full day chasing poor or intermittent connections.

Issues with the AMM include:
  1. The AMM specifies that the low resistance bonding measurement “test current must be approximately 2 amps.” However, 2A test equipment is hiding with unicorns, while 1A test equipment is included with the Diamond bonding test kit. Diamond’s explanation is that “1A is approximately 2A.” ;)
  2. The AMM says that “the airplane must be in a serviceable condition during the tests, except that the engine cowlings must be removed.” Apparently having *every* access port open, with the horizontal stabilizer shroud and stainless belly pans also removed is considered “serviceable condition." ;)
  3. The purpose of the bonding test should be to ensure that 1) the resistance across the airframe is sufficiently low to dissipate static, and 2) verify that critical lightning protection is intact. But the difference between 10 milliohm and 15 milliohm (or even 50 milliohm) is not material. Any of these values are sufficient to ensure excellent static dissipation and lightning protection. Unfortunately, the values listed in the AMM are (IMO) nominal values useful for troubleshooting poor connections. But they have no engineering basis for pass/fail.
    This would not be a problem, except that remediation for out-of-“spec” values involves disassembly. Potentially of nearly the entire airframe!! In preparation for this inspection I consulted with very experienced Diamond-certified maintenance shops and several owners who had completed the 1000 hr inspection. I heard horrifying tales of major surgery in pursuit of the seemingly arbitrary limits shown in the AMM. People described complete dis-assembly of the tail section, removing the forward spar pins to “wiggle” the wing, full wing removal, etc., all to tweak a resistance value slightly out of spec. The safety risk seems extraordinarily large for such a minimal improvement.
  4. The AMM is completely silent about bonding deficiency remediation. The comparison with (for example) Laminating (51-20) is striking. See "F" below for Diamond's recommendations via email.
Tips
  1. Plan to have the 1000 hr inspection coincide with your annual. The required level of disassembly is quite similar, and this will save you a lot of time.
  2. Discuss with your IA how you plan to handle the tolerances in the AMM, before you dive into the tests.
  3. Take great care when checking resistance around the fuel drains. A passing test generates a significant spark, which could be disastrous around vaporized fuel.
  4. Be very careful with the static wicks. The pot-metal is extremely brittle, easy to break, and the wicks (Dayton-Grainger 16630) are ~$50 each. DAMHIKT. :(
  5. Note that unlike every other static wick on the aircraft, one of the two screws holding each of the horizontal stabilizer wicks is actually a different pitch (US standard, vs. metric). The threads look very similar, but are definitely different, and easy to strip. :oops:
  6. Via email, Diamond provided the following suggestions for remediation:
    Diamond Aircraft support wrote:The vast majority of the time a bonding issue can be resolved by simply loosening and tightening a fastener. Sometimes bonding connection points may have to be disassembled, inspect for corrosion and cleaned with suitable medium, sand pads or sanding paper as required. Reapplication of Nycote 7-11 Blue or other suitable commercial protective lacquer for electrical connections sealing. If the corrosion is too deep then the item would have to be replaced. We do not use any contact cleaners or other liquids such as Deoxit when assembling the connection points.
    Personally I disagree with the recommendation about contact cleaners (I asked specifically about Deoxit), but this is not surprising.
  7. In the US, Diamond charges $125/week for the test kit, starting from the date you receive the box. You are also responsible for ~20 lbs return shipping to Indiana.
FWIW, my aircraft had one dead static wick, one additional static wick that I broke, and high resistance (~10 Ohms) at the right wing tip. The latter was due to a mechanical issue with the bonding strap in the tip (improperly bent), which caused the attachment screw to butt against (rather than pass through) the bonding strap. Presumably when the strap & screw were factory-new the resistance was fine, but over time became increasingly problematic. This could have caused a serious lightning strike problem. So in spite of the AMM issues I am glad to have completed a thorough bonding test.

Chris
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: 1000 hr inspection tips

Post by Steve »

Chris:

Thanks for your excellent write-up, which confirms what I already knew...

...that I'm not looking forward to this inspection!

Steve

PS: I expected to break at least one static wick simply walking around the aircraft in the hangar by now (which I haven't), and I was able to get a few spares on eBay years ago for way less than $50 each. At least I'm set for that part...
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Thank you for this information Chris.
We just completed our annual at 930 hours. So the 1000 hour is not far. We planned to do it at the same time but we didn't fly much this year. I understand I have to do it before reaching 1050 hours (5% margin).
I'll start checking with my A&P (who is not a Diamond official shop) how to comply with all that.
I might also take it to Wiener Neustadt at Diamond factory. That's where it was thoroughly inspected before we bought it.
Our plane is 10 years old. It will have to undergo the 2000/12 year Major Structural Inspection (MSI). I'll have to figure out if I better do it next year with the annual and 1000 hour.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Thanks for these tips Chris. They will definitely save some time and aggravation. I'm printing your notes and putting them in the file, awaiting the dreaded day. :(
csikes91
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: chris
Aircraft Registration: 410FP AND 695DS
Airports: KILM

Post by csikes91 »

we had one of our club planes go through the 1000 hour....the owner thought he could get by under 4000 or so. Well 30 days later his plane was ready with a bill to go along with it for a touch over 10,000. He had to buy all kind of stuff and since the line crew wanted to use the OAT probe as a ground...that cost him 600 for the sensor.

When i was reading what was involved I told him to expect a 7-8 and he said and bet he could do it for 1/2 of that. I am still enjoying that 100 bet.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Chris,

Can you point me to a link or, if it doesn't take a lot of your time, tell me what is in Diamond's "Test Kit?"
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

rwtucker wrote:Chris,

Can you point me to a link or, if it doesn't take a lot of your time, tell me what is in Diamond's "Test Kit?"
Milliohm meters with test currents of 1 A can be had for about $500 new. Split among several owners with 1000 hour inspections coming up, could be the way to go... :)

Steve
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

rwtucker wrote:Chris,
Hi Robert -

No worries. The bonding test kit includes:
  1. Milliohmmeter (uses four leads, and applies a current to the circuit under test)
  2. Megommeter (applies a high DC voltage to the circuit under test)
  3. Instructions (PDF copy in the link above), which includes the data sheets for these two instruments
Chris
Last edited by Chris B on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Steve wrote: Milliohm meters with test currents of 1 A can be had for about $500 new. Split among several owners with 1000 hour inspections coming up, could be the way to go... :)
I was seriously considering going this route, except that the AMM specifies 2A meters. I was unable to find any such device, and stopped looking at $5k. So imagine my surprise upon opening the test kit to find a 1A tester... :tap:

One benefit of owning your own equipment is that it likely won't have flaky connections due to rough use. After several hours of testing (/frustration) we eventually discovered that one of the probes in the Diamond-supplied milliohm meter was intermittent. :roll:

Chris
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

I already have a megger, so I may indeed keep my eyes open for the milliohm meter...