2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kenneth
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N293DC
Airports: KGOO

Cost to swap into Gami injectors?

Post by kmeyers1 »

I'm wondering what it costs to swap out the stock injectors for Gamis?

I know it's going to vary, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

Thanks,

Ken
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Cost to swap into Gami injectors?

Post by Antoine »

It's on GAMI's web site
http://www.gami.com/gamijectors/order.php
Our engines' fuel systems are quite well balanced to start with and I found out that mine was already OK (confirmed by GAMI).
They are nice and friendly guys. Do the GAMI test and send them the data for a free check.
From my experience (if you want to fly LOP): start by installing fine wire plugs and have your magnetos checked.
I did and found both set at 27 degrees instead of 25. This is not good for LOP
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you're asking about the labor costs, it took only an hour or so for an A&P licensed mechanic to install GAMI's on our DA40 a few years ago. It's real easy to do since all 4 injectors are readily accessible on top of the engine. It probably took longer to do the paperwork than to do the actual injector swap.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Antoine wrote:It's on GAMI's web site
http://www.gami.com/gamijectors/order.php
. . . have your magnetos checked. I did and found both set at 27 degrees instead of 25. This is not good for LOP
Interesting point Antoine. I have been OK with 27 degrees. A little harder to start but a little better performance on the upper end. Did you experiment both ways with the fine-wires held constant? If so, how much or what kind of difference?
kjmeyers1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N451DS

Post by kjmeyers1 »

I purchased Eric (Gnomad)'s old DA40 and I run it ROP always. If I get LOP, the engine shakes like mad and feels like it is going to come apart. When I had the annual done last year I had the fine wire plugs put in. Also we replaced the #1 cylinder under warranty. The replacement constantly runs about 50 degrees hotter. Does that also sound like an injector issue? I have a Diamond service center at my airport and my guy does not seem that concerned about it. It bugs me watching my cylinder temps and I one that is sticking out like a sore thumb.

I figured I would need to go to the Gamis if I can't get LOP with out my engine shaking apart as it sits now.

I'm looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Ken
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

(Robert see separate thread)

Ken gives us more info please:

1. what was the issue with the cylinder that was replaced
2. Did you see this CHT delta before replacing
3. How many hours since replacement

I have never had a cylinder replaced, but I can very well imagine that break-in is a long process. Higher temps can be simply a reflection of the increased friction during break-in.

If you post a G1000 report in the corresponding section we could look at it and try to understand what is going on.
(for example : is your EGT also different on this cylinder?)

If you are willing to spend some money on pro advice, check this:
https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home

Dont worry. It is a good engine and there are competent people who will help you out. Please note I am neither an A&P nor an expert of any kind. Just have a few hundred hours of a happy relationship with my own IO-360.
hoyaj
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Airports:

Post by hoyaj »

kjmeyers1 wrote: The replacement constantly runs about 50 degrees hotter. Does that also sound like an injector issue? I have a Diamond service center at my airport and my guy does not seem that concerned about it. It bugs me watching my cylinder temps and I one that is sticking out like a sore thumb.

I figured I would need to go to the Gamis if I can't get LOP with out my engine shaking apart as it sits now.

I'm looking for all the help I can get.
I checked my invoice and the GAMIs were installed in 1.0. The Lycoming fuel line AD was an extra .2, but I have that done at every 50 hours to avoid an overshoot.

The new cyl will run hot for the first 50-100 hours.

I also have the cyl #1 hot. Retarding the mag timing helped alot with climb temps, but the CHT spread between Cyl 3 and 1 is still 35 degrees. Coming up on 350SMOH and annual, might be time to switch to the finewire plugs. At the moment, I can run LOP at 65% and 7.6-7.8gph. At 9000, I was seeing 136-139TAS.
Attachments
LOP at 9000 (136TAS), avoiding the buildups with ADSB in addition to the Mark 1 eyeballs.
LOP at 9000 (136TAS), avoiding the buildups with ADSB in addition to the Mark 1 eyeballs.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Kenneth,

What was wrong with the head you replaced? Did you then run break-in oil? This choice is always a dilemma when replacing a single head.
kmeyers1
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N293DC

Post by kmeyers1 »

Antoine wrote:(Robert see separate thread)

Ken gives us more info please:

1. what was the issue with the cylinder that was replaced

#1 wasn't making compression.

2. Did you see this CHT delta before replacing

No

3. How many hours since replacement

50 hours since replacing.

I have never had a cylinder replaced, but I can very well imagine that break-in is a long process. Higher temps can be simply a reflection of the increased friction during break-in.

If you post a G1000 report in the corresponding section we could look at it and try to understand what is going on.
(for example : is your EGT also different on this cylinder?)

If you are willing to spend some money on pro advice, check this:
https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home

Dont worry. It is a good engine and there are competent people who will help you out. Please note I am neither an A&P nor an expert of any kind. Just have a few hundred hours of a happy relationship with my own IO-360.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

50 hours should be enough for breaking in.

Since you can feel an imbalance, I will exclude the possibility of an issue with the CHT probe.

I suggest you do a GAMI test (see the web site I linked to above) and post the results. This is very easy with the G1000 - just make a note of system time and lean s l o w l y from 200 or so ROP to LOP - as far as it will go before you feel uncomfortable.

Safety note: make sure you have enough altitude when doing this - you may inadvertently choke your engine and have someone lend you their eyes for traffic avoidance as you will be head down for quite some time...

We will see what kind of correlation between EGT and the abnormal CHT and whether there is an obvious fuel flow imbalance.
Have you considered asking Eric (Gnomad) about his past experience with the engine?