4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Flying with Dogs

Post by blsewardjr »

Our dog is about 45 pounds. We use the Roadie(c) from Ruffriders.com in our car and aircraft. We've found that using a carabiner to connect the D-shaped metal end of the harness to the locked seatbelt works better in the DA40 then attaching the harness directly to the seatbelt as you do in the car. A crate might work better but the aircraft is usually full with luggage, Christmas gifts, etc. when we bring the dog.
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

I agree that the Mutt Muffs aren't as protective as one would hope, but I do think it takes the edge off. My dog will go to sleep with his on, but fidgets nervously in the back seat if they fall off or if he paws them off.
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

My impression is that the mutt muffs don't seem to offer much protection however my dog will push them off when we are on the ground. In the air he doesn't push them off. Maybe they do offer a little attenuation. My dog is small so for us I decided to use a small pet carrier and then wrap it in a heavy furniture blanket. My thoughts are that the heavy furniture blanket attenuates some sound.

He is not a big fan of flying with me.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414803980.772642.jpg
Tom Davis
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

Post by Tom Davis »

We have two dogs: A Weimaraner and a Standard Poodle. The Weimaraner is 11 or 12 years old, but the Poodle is much younger. Today my son & I took the Poodle flying for just over an hour today. It was the first time the dog had been in a plane. He was a perfect gentleman.

Taking a que from blsewardjr, above, I got a Roadie from Roughriders. It worked perfectly.

We did not get more than about 4,000 feet above the ground (We are near Asheville), but it did not seem to bother his ears in the least.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I'm a dog lover and every dog I have taken flying has a different attitude about being in the air. Of the two dogs in my immediate family, one prefers flying to driving and the other prefers driving to flying. The one that prefers flying hides when he senses a driving trip coming up. Don't ask me how he knows since both modes of transportation involve the car in the first leg. He knows.

The one thing our dogs have in common is that they dislike ear muffs. We have tried ear plugs too . . . no joy there either. We did learn that ear plugs make a good doggie snack. I have a nice padded enclosure in the back seat for our dogs and that deadens some of the sound. I can't be sure but it does not appear that the sound bothers them. They go to sleep right away and wake up when they hear the squeal (sometimes, feel the thud) of the landing.
jon1746
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jon
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N888UB
Airports: KFSD

Post by jon1746 »

My dog love the plane. My dog will not where the mutt muffs

Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I modified my mutt muffs with blue space foam. I was pretty disappointed when I opened them up. In stock form I don't think they do much at all.