3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

G1000 error message fix

Post by Wall-e »

In case any of you have this problem I am posting how to fix start-up error messages which are displayed on the PFD. These messages are usually a configuration error and can be fixed by reloading from the config module. Mine often are generated when the battery is weak and a nav update is applied. I have never seen a problem in the use of the equipment because of these error messages but I like to have a "clean" system.

If you go to a Garmin repair shop they will charge you a couple of Ben Franklins to do this.

* Pull the PFD CB
* Hold down the Enter key while resetting the CB
* Release the Enter key after the G1000 splash screen appears
* The System Status page should appear next
* Turn the small knob to bring up the menu and select System Upload
* Using the soft key press Update Config
* Answer Yes to all the following screens

That's it. You have reloaded configuration data that should clear the error messages. Now pull the PFD CB then reset it to see if the PFD starts without errors.
Wally
CFII
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: G1000 error message fix

Post by rwtucker »

Wally,

Fantastic! Any guess if you can use this method to remove a configuration line that loads a driver for a non-existent device? The last time I loaded the OS, I inadvertently specified that I have the type of CO2 monitor that displays on the MFD. (Mine is just the panel indication.) Every boot up greets me with an error message to the effect that it can't find the CO2 device. Its pretty easy to ignore the error, easier than reloading the entire system but it sounds like this is a shortcut. Do the boot-up questions you answer pertain to various devices on your system?
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wall-e »

No, there are no specific device questions to answer. I don't know if this will clear that error message, but I don't see any reason it would hurt anything to try.
Wally
CFII
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Wally,

I benefited from your tip yesterday when my PFD went into an endless reboot loop due to a bug in the MRF update. If I am correct, the fact that we can retrieve these settings so easily (thanks to you) is due to the last step in the software update procedure. That step writes to a memory area located in the PFD's connector. I have listed this step below. Even though it is not necessary for proper functioning of the software update, it makes this fix possible. Everyone should be sure that you or your aviionics person takes this step.

From DA40/40F G-1000 field Update Instructions, Rev 8.0
2.4 Configuration Module Update
After completing all configuration and software loading procedures update the configuration module by
doing the following procedure:
1. With the G1000 powered on in configuration mode, go to the SYSTEM – SYSTEM UPLOAD
page on the PFD, as shown:

2. Press the UPDT CFG softkey, located in the lower right corner of the System Upload page.
3. A prompt will appear: “Update Config Module?”
4. Select YES and press the ENT key on the PFD.
5. The system will update the configuration module located in the PFD connector and prompt the
technician when successfully complete. Press the ENT key to acknowledge the prompt.
6. Continue to the MFD Splash Screen loading procedure.
JamesDS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Registration: N730DS
Airports: KMCC

Post by JamesDS »

I had a number of erroneous error messages at boot up and randomly recurring during flight. Reloading the config file as described by Wall-e above fixed all of this, and took very little time. I also replaced the NAV file which had some errors from Garmin two months ago. I recall this was 1610 and I replaced it with the now available 1611, which was effective Oct.13 2016. Many thanks to Wall-e for providing a fix to this vexing problem.
2007 DA40XL GFC700 autopilot, Avidyne TAS 600, non-WAAS G1000 panel, software 0321.22
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wall-e »

I'm glad this has been helpful.
Wally
CFII