3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N317AF
Airports: NAMPA IDAHO ( MAN)

Da40 Battery Charging , Trouble Shooting and or Replacing

Post by DCLEMONS »

This is a subject that has a lot of data but its really hard to find the right information Im currently in need of. I would appreciate your help in adding to this thread.

1. What is the actual steps of charging your battery for the external power source ?
This is what I could remember as a sequence after squeaking to Bob and Tim - my local DA40 brain trust. I just don't think I got it right.

-Power Up GPU and then plug into the external source 3 pin connector. Im using the Enhanced Flight 28 Volt GPU with an onboard Battery Minder. - The Amps will start on on the GPU at approx 14, then with in a minute step down to 8-6, then down to 4 - so there is not a big hit of AMPS sustained that would dehydrate the battery. (Thx Bob).
- PULL 70 AMP Fuse Not sure of this Step - Do we pull the 70 Amp Battery fuse ? Will the battery charge if the CB is pulled, I received conflicting stories :) Just want to know what works. As long as the Master Batt button is ON will it charge regardless of running the Garmins? ( Its nice to be able the see the meter in the DA 40
- Turn Master Batt on - Leave ALT off
- Look at Look at Amp and Volts meter in the DA40. If the unit is registering above 24 volts it is charging.

When I turn on the Master Switch and look at the Volt meter on the MFD it opens at 1 AMP and 25volts , what should this be sitting at to power up the starter engine? When you start up your Garmin 1000 what does your meter read?

Both Garmins , fans , strobe , landing lights radios can power up - But I have no power at the START MOTOR .

Let me know what do you think, its appreciated.

I am not getting warning on the Battery. This Battery is 3+ years old.

What Battery do you recommend to replace this older battery?

I will check with those who I know here locally about these questions as well.

I'd like to see a section with great information just about Battery maintenance, Charging, replacement and trouble shooting on the Battery issues.

This all might come down to the connection to the starter - but this above information would be GREAT to have.

Have a great weekend and thank you for all the knowledge I have accessed being part of this forum a big thank you to all.

David
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: Da40 Battery Charging , Trouble Shooting and or Replacin

Post by rwtucker »

- Pull the 70A breaker
- Switch the "BAT" rocker to "ON"
- Connect the Charger to the APU
- If the charger is the kind that waits to "see" at least some voltage before applying charging current, you will need to apply a temporary 24V supply (1-second will do) to trip the relay that activates the APU pins.

The reason for the first step is to prevent your G1000, fans, emergency attitude gyro, etc. from running while you are charging.
DCLEMONS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N317AF
Airports: NAMPA IDAHO ( MAN)

Post by DCLEMONS »

Hi Bob - Thanks for the outline . I didn't want to bother you again with the same questions :) But here you are .
I pulled the battery and actually ordered a new battery from Spruce. They are pricey, but I was planning on a new battery in Dec any way so I just jumped in a little soon.

Since the battery has not been maintained over the last 2 1/2 years + I determined it would be good to just replace it and take that off my list.

While Im waiting for my battery ( Concord Premium ) I am charging and de-sulfating the existing battery as I want to see if this battery can be recharged by by Battery Minder.
http://www.audioauthority.com/downloads ... 130930.pdf
This is the link to the unit I used.

I was a bit frustrated this weekend trying to learn this process - it wasn't making sense to me. I spoke today to both manufactures regarding my GPU and Battery Minder units. Thank you for your help pointing me in the right direction(s) .

David
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

You are welcome. Three months on your desulphator and you might be surprised how well it does. Not always but often.