3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Solar Charger?

Post by BkFlyer »

Hi,

Has anybody had good luck with a solar trickle charger? Or even better, tips on what brands or methods definitely won't work? ;)

My partner and I are discussing options for keeping our DA-40s battery in top condition. While we would definitely prefer a nice conditioner/trickle charger, that's not an option right now because we are at an unpowered tie-down.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: Solar Charger?

Post by rwtucker »

The most popular desulphator/charger designed for the Concorde battery runs around $175. When that option becomes available, it should provide a positive return on your investment. Most of us who use the desulphator/charger think we are getting an extra year to three years of useful battery life.

In the meantime, there are quite a few automotive solar trickle chargers out there for $15-25. You would wire two in series. If you measure the unloaded volage of two in series, you might see 40-50 volts. This is because solar cells have a high unloaded voltage that drops to the rated voltage output under the rated load. The important variable is to limit trickle charging current to around 150 maH. I suggest this conservative value because you are doing unregulated charging. Assuming that the battery is in good condition, this will keep a float charge on your Concorde without overcharging. Coleman has a 133 mAh model for around $20. Two of them would be perfect. http://www.batteryjunction.com/coleman- ... aQodkzYAWg
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Solar Charger?

Post by BkFlyer »

@rwtucker Awesome, thanks for the info!