4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Cost of the 1,000 hour annual

Post by Paul »

My DA40 is coming up on 1,000 hours. I assume that the inspection gets done along with the annual. For those that have had this done recently, what was the cost for both the inspection and annual? I assume it might have come down a bit now that the rudder cables don't have to be replaced. This is for a U.S. based plane. Thanks.
hoyaj
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Cost of the 1,000 hour annual

Post by hoyaj »

There aren't many items in the 1000 hour that aren't in the annual 100 X/X* checklists. I would not believe that the Essential Bus and Bonding & Static Discharging systems tests required by Ch. 4 would need more than a 2-4 hours to accomplish.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

The static bonding check is not trivial - it took 2 days to do on my previous DA40, and your shop needs a special milli-ohm meter (or was it a micro-ohm meter?). At any rate, there are maybe 40 or 50 different points that have to be measured, and for each one, if it is out of the specified tolerance (which many were on my plane), then begins the witch hunt to find and correct the poor connection(s). I suppose if you were lucky and everything was still well connected, you might get it done in 4 or 5 hours. Make sure your shop has the correct meter before you start - you can rent one from Diamond, but then you have to wait until it gets there...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: W
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by 41000 »

Is the bonding static check required for annual in the US.?
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

41000 wrote:Is the bonding static check required for annual in the US.?
It was for my DA40.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

41000 wrote:Is the bonding static check required for annual in the US.?
The 1000 hr bonding and static test is one of the few items specifically called-out in Section 04 ("Airworthiness Limitations"). AFAIK, these Section 04 items are "mandatory" and not negotiable...

Chris
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

The static bonding test (and essential bus check) are required every 1000 hours, not at every annual. And then only if you fly IFR (or night VFR). If you only fly your DA40 in daylight VFR, you don't actually need to do either test.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
hoyaj
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Airports:

Post by hoyaj »

Rick wrote:The static bonding check is not trivial - it took 2 days to do on my previous DA40, and your shop needs a special milli-ohm meter (or was it a micro-ohm meter?)

Thanks, this is great info.
Toddf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Todd
Aircraft Registration: N222GF
Airports: 79C

Post by Toddf »

Rick wrote: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 am The static bonding check is not trivial - it took 2 days to do on my previous DA40, and your shop needs a special milli-ohm meter (or was it a micro-ohm meter?). At any rate, there are maybe 40 or 50 different points that have to be measured, and for each one, if it is out of the specified tolerance (which many were on my plane), then begins the witch hunt to find and correct the poor connection(s). I suppose if you were lucky and everything was still well connected, you might get it done in 4 or 5 hours. Make sure your shop has the correct meter before you start - you can rent one from Diamond, but then you have to wait until it gets there...
This exactly describes what we went through with my 2002 that just hit the 1000 hr mark. 2 days of witch hunting but we got everything back to spec. There were a few choice words as they trouble shot the issues. Nothing spelled out on how to fix the issues. :(