5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: Annual Cost Average

Post by rwtucker »

I do my own with my IA overseeing/assisting. The highest was $500 and the lowest $350. As far as the work goes, I can generally get it done in one long day. This translates into 2-3 days after adjusting for the steady flow of hangar buddies stopping by to chat. My friend just had his DA40 annual done by an AP who was somewhat familiar with the aircraft. I think it was 10 hours total at $80/hour because they decided to go with fine wire plugs at the last minute.
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

We have used a Diamond Service Center and the usual average annual, standard stuff, no additional parts, pieces or upgrades is running about $1850. BUT…I have never had a 100% clean annual and some part will end up being in need of replacement or repair. The total costs for the last several years has been closer to 6000.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

When I have a shop do the whole thing, their base rate for the annual is typically $1600. When I used to do owner assisted annuals, the IA would charge me maybe $500, as all the panel removal/replacement and standard stuff (plug cleaning, bearing regreasing, oil change, etc.) was done by moi. And when brake linings needed replacement and other occasional stuff like that was needed, I did the labor and he'd check it.

So you could say that these annuals cost $500. That is, if you ignore the cost of my labor. My professional billing rate in those days was $100/hr. So in reality the "lowest-priced" annuals still cost me north of $2000, exclusive of anomalies. In fact, one year I farmed it out just because I was so busy it was a significant net gain for me to pay the shop instead of "donating" my labor.

Now, however, I'm retired. And we're moving next year to a locale where I will be able to justify putting the plane back in a hangar, so I'll probably go back to owner-assisted annuals. I haven't lately been doing this because the plane is tied down instead of in a $6000/year hangar.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Rich wrote:Now, however, I'm retired. And we're moving next year to a locale where I will be able to justify putting the plane back in a hangar, so I'll probably go back to owner-assisted annuals. I haven't lately been doing this because the plane is tied down instead of in a $6000/year hangar.
That being said, your tie downs due not come at a discount. They may be cheaper than a $6,000.00 a year hangar, however, your plane because it is more exposed to the elements than it would be if in a hangar will experience and realize a more accelerated depreciation. There is no free lunch. See the spoon. :)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Tommy wrote:
Rich wrote:Now, however, I'm retired. And we're moving next year to a locale where I will be able to justify putting the plane back in a hangar, so I'll probably go back to owner-assisted annuals. I haven't lately been doing this because the plane is tied down instead of in a $6000/year hangar.
That being said, your tie downs due not come at a discount. They may be cheaper than a $6,000.00 a year hangar, however, your plane because it is more exposed to the elements than it would be if in a hangar will experience and realize a more accelerated depreciation. There is no free lunch. See the spoon. :)
It's a 2002. The plane's been outside now for over 3-1/2 years. The differential between what I was paying and am now paying currently totals over $18K and increases every month. I'll take it.

But at $180/month at the next airport, the dynamic shifts the other way.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The other thing is that your hull insurance may be cheaper if you hangar your aircraft. Mine is. That helps offset the $300 per month differential at my airport.

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote:The other thing is that your hull insurance may be cheaper if you hangar your aircraft. Mine is. That helps offset the $300 per month differential at my airport.

Steve
It's all about the differential. At the time I moved from the hangar to a tie down it was $430 per month difference. But hangar rents were being ratcheted up EVERY year. I haven't checked lately, but I'm fairly confident the differential is $450/month by now. You don't get that much of an insurance discount. I ran the numbers at the time I decided. It wasn't even close.