LED replacements for interior "map" lights?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: LED replacements for interior "map" lights?

Post by rwtucker »

I'm on the road today but a few electronics surplus companies come to mind for speaker replacements. Some of these places have hundreds of models, one of which may be an exact replacement. Also, try Allied Electronics. From experience, I know they have a few small electronics parts that are the same part number as on our DA40s.v I'll post a few more links when I return.

http://www.alliedelec.com/

http://www.allelectronics.com/

https://www.parts-express.com/

Also, repair??

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-repair-parts.html

Happy Thanksgiving! (as applies). :D
mikentra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports: MOD

Post by mikentra »

Being inspired by this thread, I ordered the LED replacement bulbs but when I pulled out the pilot fixture it had been melted beyond repair. Does anyone have an online source for replacing these fixtures?
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

mikentra wrote:Being inspired by this thread, I ordered the LED replacement bulbs but when I pulled out the pilot fixture it had been melted beyond repair. Does anyone have an online source for replacing these fixtures?
Hi Mike -

One alternative is to check with Brittany at Premier Aircraft. They sell used units removed from aircraft during the air conditioning installation. $50 + actual shipping.

Chris
mikentra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports: MOD

Post by mikentra »

Chris B wrote:
mikentra wrote:Being inspired by this thread, I ordered the LED replacement bulbs but when I pulled out the pilot fixture it had been melted beyond repair. Does anyone have an online source for replacing these fixtures?
Hi Mike -

One alternative is to check with Brittany at Premier Aircraft. They sell used units removed from aircraft during the air conditioning installation. $50 + actual shipping.

Chris
That's a great idea! I'll give them a call. I was figuring at least $250 each for those fixtures after seeing the price of the replacement speaker.
Thanks Chris!
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Field Repair:

The speaker cone is paper and deteriorates easily. Take your speaker out. Smear a thin coat of silicone or RTV around the entire speaker cone including the outside rubber suspension ring. Coat it completely. It will work great and last a long time. Should cost you about 2 dollars.

ahazi wrote:I am looking for a replacement speaker source. Mine is leaking air for the 2nd time and I am not willing to pay the outrageous prices that Diamond is charging ($340-).

Any information will be useful.

Thanks,
Ariel
2005 DA40
N469JP
KSMO
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The difficulty that I had when trying to replace mine is that the speaker is very shallow. If you pull the speaker out and don't want to do the silicone field repair try Crutchfield.com All you need to do is match the impedance (likely 4 ohm) and the dimensions.
ahazi wrote:Thanks Rick,

I saw that there was no answer and this why I posted and asked again. I also sent Steve a PM.

My a/c is at the shop now for annual and I do not have the size of the speaker. If someone can help with the exact size I can probably locate a modern replacement with Kevlar cone and butyl rubber surrounding. Also a what is called "mid range speaker" is typically sealed in the back and might fit the requirement of protecting the membrane from tearing as a result of the air pressure. Mid range frequencies is all we need anyway.

Diamond prices on some parts are just outrageous which makes the annual more expensive than it should be. But... the DA40 is really a nice, trouble free and efficient airplane, for now it is sufficient for my mission/uses.

Ariel